Flower Gardens Bent Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
If I recall, this is the second Flower Garden medevac this year. I wonder how often this stuff happens.
I don't know, but I would think rare, as the 2-1/2 hour minimum SI and other safety standards required by the boats are very admirable.

I'm still exhausted and sore from the adventure, and I bet Diver 85 is having a rougher one right now as I heard the seas were expected to be up higher than on our trip.

Just curious...what is The Flower Gardens?

The boats went several years (three or more) without a bent diver. I don't recall how many were evaced out last year. This is the first I have heard of this year.

TwoBit

Yeah, these boats have the toughest safety standards I've ever heard of - a diver has to have a real problem to get bent with them, I think. Sure, accidents happen, and some people have PFOs, but still - very rare.

I suspect it is quite easy to get bent out there if the diver does not stay properly hydrated. One change they made a few years back was to add a drinking water supply on the back deck so divers could get another drink as they geared up and got ready to go. I suspect that may have had an effect that resulted in more favprable performance in recent years. I know I musually grab a last sip of two as I go by just to makle sure the wet suit warmer is full. :D

I understand the Coast Guard evacuated him and he went to the chamber at Hermann Hospital in the medical center. I did a Navy table 6 ride there a couple weeks ago. They have great set up and really take care of you.

dwwest101:
I understand the Coast Guard evacuated him and he went to the chamber at Hermann Hospital in the medical center. I did a Navy table 6 ride there a couple weeks ago. They have great set up and really take care of you.
You did...?!

How about posting a thread on your accident and experience. We don't get many first hand reports like that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom