Florida Keys in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasailor,

We have several places we frequent that are perfect for snorkelers and divers alike... and our Instructor, who would be on the boat, is also from Lafayette...go Saints!

Eric

I have done dives in Dec and January in a short 3/2 mm. It was a little chilly at the end of the dives but nothing brutal. After looking at other divers on the boat, I realized that my personal tolerance for cold was different than most people.

It is extremely subjective because everyone is built different. Looking at most people I think 5mm is the ideal thermal protection for Dec.

Cheers -

I'm planning a similar trip later in the year, Conch Republic gets high marks, Pennekamp also has shallow snorkel areas and if you've never been, that would fit your needs. I'm using www.vrbo.com to find a rental for a week since the hotels and resorts can be much higher than renting a house or from an owner in the same resort(s).

We've used vrbo numerous times for lodging for ski trips and beach trips. I will definietly check it out for the keys. That's a great suggestion.

Scubasailor: No gloves allowed in Penekamp.( No permiso tocar nada. Entonces, no guantos.)
Not true.

I'm in Lafayette. (Too far from the Gulf, but eying retirement on the beach someplace.)

lol, I'm 90 miles inland & used to(in my younger days) fish @ least once a week(weather permitting) in the Gulf......ie trailered my 25 ft'er then later kept my 29'er @ Fresh Water Bayou(Pecan Island)....man, you just a stones throw away,

lol, I'm 90 miles inland & used to(in my younger days) fish @ least once a week(weather permitting) in the Gulf......ie trailered my 25 ft'er then later kept my 29'er @ Fresh Water Bayou(Pecan Island)....man, you just a stones throw away,

We've got all that great fishing water around. I only have a sailboat, not very practical for fishing. Even if the water's deep enough, it would take too long to get to any fishing spot. I'm trying to convince my wife that we need about a 30' cat powerboat. That might big for fishing Vermilion Bay (that's where we keep our sailboat), but great for motoring out to the platforms for fishing and diving. I just can't see myself giving up the sailboat for it, though.

DebbyDIves: Not true? Then how come the captains tell you you aren't allowed to wear gloves?

There are a lot of great Ops in the Keys. Many however don't do snorkeling. Rainbow Reef does do snorkeling, but I *think* they put snorkelers on one boat, and divers are on another. Since you plan to dive one day, and snorkel on another, I'd say none of that is a problem.

If you are MM100, and diving the upper keys, I would recommend N. Dry Rocks and NN Dry Rocks for both a dive, and some snorkeling. The water is very shallow, but it's generally not a crowded spot.

Snappers Ledge is another cool spot with a ton of life.

The City of Washington is a cool spot as you can do a bit of reef, and a bit of wreck. They also feed the fish out there, and there are generally some Goliath Groopers about, as well as Nurse sharks, and the regular cast of characters.

Have fun, and enjoy.

I made a few phone calls, and it looks like Molases Reef would be a good place to go for snorkeling and diving. Turns out I will be having surgery at the end of November, so the December dive is off. Recouperaton should be full, so maybe we can make it out there in the first part of 2010. Once I'm up and around again, we will be Key Largo bound. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Back
Top Bottom