Florida Keys Diving in late October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codeman00

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone.....my wife and I have finally freed up some time to dive this year and have selected the Keys as our adventure. I dove Key Largo a few years back and even though I loved the diving, I'd like move on down the keys if the diving is comparable. I was thinking about diving Key West or Marathon or possibly both and split the week up diving a few days in one place and a few days at the other. I'd love to show my wife Key West (but don't think I'd like to stay there all week) and I wouldn't mind diving the Aircraft Carrier if its worth it. After a 2-3 days, it would be nice move up to some place quieter maybe with a beach like Sombrero (from what I've read) and dive there. The Dolphin Research Center looks neat too when we aren't diving.

I know many of you have dove the entire Keys...
  • Does my plan sound okay or is the diving significantly better in one location vs the other?
  • Is there any accessible snorkeling in either location, especially with a beach nearby?
  • Do you have any recommendations and places to stay and dive ops in each location?
I'll be reading up through the old threads get up to speed but any guidance you can give is appreciated.

For me, the diving in Key Largo is the best but its still fun to dive the Vandenberg in KW and sites in Marathon. I've tried to dive Looe Key a number of times because everyone says its so beautiful but I've always been blown out by poor marine conditions. I've done a trip like yours several times: time in KW, Marathon and KL and its fun. KW has the most enjoyable topside activities but it is party central on the weekend evenings so I like it a bit better on Monday and Tuesday nights: still wild enough but not quite so crazy and loud.

The Mighty O aircraft carrier is in Pennsecola in the Panhandle, not the Keys, but the wrecks in the Keys are great dives.

Operators I like include Captain's Corner (KW), Conch Republic Divers, Rainbow Reef, Horizon and Quiescense (KL) and Dive Duck Key (Marathon).

I think you can snorkel Fort Taylor State Park in KW. I've never done it but I've heard it an be done

• Does my plan sound okay or is the diving significantly better in one location vs the other?
  • Is there any accessible snorkeling in either location, especially with a beach nearby?
  • Do you have any recommendations and places to stay and dive ops in each location?

I was in KW for 3 days then Marathon for 4 back at the end of February, and dove with Captain's Corner, Dive Key West, and Conch Republic, and recommend them all for various reasons. I also planned a trip with Captain Hook's but it was canceled due to insufficient number of divers, but they seemed like a good shop.

I would not recommend the Pennekamp State Park dive concession as they tend to hold your hand too much, probably because of the type of divers they usually get.

Lodging is expensive for what you get.

Getting from the hotel room to the dock can be a big deal in Key West because the parking situation is so bad. I was at a hotel that provided free parking, but it was six blocks away in a city ramp, and despite the fact that they had shuttles and were very accommodating it added half an hour of fiddling around with logistics to each dive. If I go back for a similar trip I will probably use Captain's Corner and book a hotel very close to their docks, because they are right in the thick of things and I could just carry my gear and leave the car parked.

So, one message for you, ask the hotel a lot of questions about the parking situation, not just costs, but distance away, whether the lot fills up, hours, etc.

Some of the dive ops have a shop in one place, boat in another. So, location is a really big deal, again, ask a lot of questions about where the shop is, where the docks are, etc.

When we stayed in Marathon we intended to do some snorkeling on Pigeon Key but due to weather and some schedule changes were never able to get there. It's a long walk and they require a dive flag, and there are no concessions on the island, so you have to plan ahead, bring a wet suit (or rasher) and weight belt if you think you'll want one as well as the flag and basic snorkeling gear. I don't know how good the snorkeling is.

Many of the dive operators up and down the keys offer snorkeling trips on their boats, as well as scuba trips.

The Mighty O aircraft carrier is in Pennsecola in the Panhandle, not the Keys, but the wrecks in the Keys are great dives.

I guess I had it in my head that this is where the aircraft carrier was sunk (from way back when) and when I googled "aircraft carrier scuba key west"...it came up. I didn't even question if it was actually in Key West or not. Ugh. Thanks for the correction...that was actually one of the reasons I was going to visit Key West.

I just read 2airishuman's comments on hotel parking. I stayed at the Coconut Mallory condo project on the east side of KW a few years ago. It's too far to walk to Duvall Street and all that action, but there plenty of easy parking beside the rental units. There's a municipal lot next to Capt Corners boat and I parked in the municipal lot after dropping off my gear on the days I dove

Great info everyone...its appreciated. I will do my due diligence and ask questions.

We are headed down for a full week (Thursday night to Thursday night). We're going to stay in Marathon because my wife likes being on the beach...and it seems like Marathon is the best place for that. Key West will be the last 1-2 days of our vacation and where our dry day will be for sure. Now that I know the aircraft carrier isn't in Key West, I'm honestly indifferent about diving there...it sounds like more trouble that necessary since we can find plenty of other great dives along the way. Or would I be missing a must do dive in KW that we would regret?

If we stay in Marathon...it looks like Islamorada is only a short drive away. We could easily dive Marathon and Islamorada all week??? I just can't really compare the diving without your help. What diving would you do?
  1. Dive all week out of Marathon.
  2. Dive 3 days in Marathon and 2 days in Islamorada
  3. Dive 5 days in Marathon and 1 day in Key West.
I'm thinking #2 with all dry in KW.

Marathon diving is OK but Islamorada is better in my view. Generally better vis but if you have calm marine conditions, try to get out to Looe Key which is close to Marathon. The Vandenberg is worth diving in KW: until the Oriskany was sunk in the panhandle, it was one of the largest purpose sunk wrecks.

Last edited:
Marathon has some really nice, small patch reefs. I especially enjoyed night diving there. Lobsters, squids, and the bio-luminescence really come alive. The same can be said for many of the reefs in the Keys, but I found the shallow patch reefs to be particularly active. There is also the Thunderbolt for a fun, smaller wreck. Since you are staying in Marathon I would try to pick a nice day to dive Looe Key off Big Pine. It has a tendency to get blown out easily, but since you are staying close by, you have a unique opportunity to pick your day. If you try on a weekday, you shouldn't have a problem catching a boat on short notice. I go out with Looe Key Dive Center on Ramrod Key www.diveflakeys.com. There are other ops. YMMV.

I also like the Islamorada area, but if I was going to head that direction I would go a bit further and dive with Conch Republic in Tavernier. They will dive south of Pennekamp in the Davis/Crocker/Alligator reef, Conch wall, Eagle wreck area. It's a nice option if you've dived Key Largo proper and want something a little different.

I don't think you can go too wrong with a little research in the Marathon area and if your wife likes the beach, Sombrero is a great public option. As far as beaches in the Keys, it doesn't get much better. Good luck & have fun.:)

In answer to your question, I would dive 3 days in Marathon (including at least one night dive, maybe more) since you are staying there to make life easy, then one day in Islamorada/Tavernier, and one day at Looe Key.

Last edited:
Great that you are making this happen. Your plans sound good. This is based on my experience diving in the Keys.
Key West has the Vandenberg. Now Key West late October is going to be a ZOO! Official Fantasy Fest Website - Key West, Florida
The week before Is GoomBay Starts OCT 21 this will make lodging cost more but if you book now and dont mind driving in from say Marathon you can find cheaper hotels or....Just pay the big coin and ENJOY!
Now to diving. Depending on your experience here are some things I have done.
If the VIS is good? The eastern or southern end of Duval Street the Key West Bouy side there is beach and Cement Pier. I entered the water from the beach and straight off the pier there is a pipe line you can follow out to a shallow reef. I mean shallow like 20 feet. From there If you go south along the edge of the island ( underwater navigation) towards the bouy there is a lot to see , fish, small sharks, vegetation. If you go north there is another pier and its sand bottom with tons of fish.
Navigate back to the beach and its a great shallow dive for free.
Just off shore to the east and north of the shipping channel is a reef its a good shallow dive but you need a boat to get out. It drops off into deep water and its not worth 70 bucks to pay an operator to go out to so...if that is the site they are going to think again.
Rainbow Reef Divers is fair choice for diving the middle Keys. They run all the time and have multiple sites.
I would highly recommend getting out to the Dry Tortuga's Dry Tortugas National Park (U.S. National Park Service). It is a very awesome dive.
Another free dive is Bahia Honda state Park. The experience you get in the upper keys is much different then what you get in Key West. I would definitely head south into the lower Keys.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom