Florida Keys dive sites, 1st visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagrrl06:
I'd be curious of what not to miss either. I have heard the Duane and the Speigel Grove. We are going to have our AOW by the time we go down to Key Largo in Oct. Only have 2 full days of diving. What should we make sure we definitally see?

Also have non diving friends staying in Marathon. Is there any good diving out of there or will we be kicking ourselves for not doing the Key Largo dives while we are there?

The Thunderbolt (deep wreck) out of Marathon is sweet. But in my experience the vis is not as good diving there as Key Largo/Tavernier. Do yourself a favor and spend the two days around Key Largo area.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I think we are definitaly going to stay in Key Largo and just meet our friends in Marathon one evening for happy hour or something. We're thinking Molasses, Spiegel Grove, Duane and possibly the Statue of Christ.

I have found several suggestions on your board for dive operators and accomodations, now I just need to pick one. Guess I need to call them and see which ones will take us where we want to go on the days we have available.

Thanks again everyone

scubagrrl06:
Thanks everyone for all your help. I think we are definitaly going to stay in Key Largo and just meet our friends in Marathon one evening for happy hour or something. We're thinking Molasses, Spiegel Grove, Duane and possibly the Statue of Christ.

I have found several suggestions on your board for dive operators and accomodations, now I just need to pick one. Guess I need to call them and see which ones will take us where we want to go on the days we have available.

Thanks again everyone
You can easily visit all of the sites you mention on three two-location trips (which leaves you with a couple of other site possibilities) while getting to all four sites on just two trips is more difficult from a logistical POV.

The following three site combinations work well:

1. Duane/Molasses Reef
2. Grove/Benwood (or French Reef)
3. Christ of the Deep/Minnow Cave

Diving the Duane and Grove requires verifiable recent deep diving experience (so bring your log books and certification cards) or accompaniment by a professional guide. If you have to sacrifice one trip from the above list, lose trip number three, or visit the Christ Statue on a snorkel trip instead (Keys Diver goes there every afternoon). Enjoy!

Thanks! I just might check into the snorkel dive for Sunday afternoon :)

I would have to agree with everything that has been posted this far....and add that a drift dive on Conch Wall is one of my favorites.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom