Florida Keys dive sites, 1st visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lauratm

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm heading down to the Florida Keys for the 1st time this fall. Any recommendations on which part of the keys to go to and which dive sites that can't be missed?

Thank you!

What's your diving history/experience?

Do you prefer wrecks or reefs?

If you are looking for a shallow wreck...I would vote for the Benwood, deep wreck has to be the Spiegel Grove. Just about every diver has their favorite reef for different reasons!

Pat

The best deep wreck in the Keys is the Eagle, Christmas Tree Caves on French Reef is a great shallow reef. They are, however, too far apart to dive together.

I'd be curious of what not to miss either. I have heard the Duane and the Speigel Grove. We are going to have our AOW by the time we go down to Key Largo in Oct. Only have 2 full days of diving. What should we make sure we definitally see?

Also have non diving friends staying in Marathon. Is there any good diving out of there or will we be kicking ourselves for not doing the Key Largo dives while we are there?

scubagrrl06:
I'd be curious of what not to miss either. I have heard the Duane and the Speigel Grove. We are going to have our AOW by the time we go down to Key Largo in Oct. Only have 2 full days of diving. What should we make sure we definitally see?

Also have non diving friends staying in Marathon. Is there any good diving out of there or will we be kicking ourselves for not doing the Key Largo dives while we are there?
sombrero reef right off the seven mile bridge in marathon is great for snorkeling. your non divers will probably get a kick out of it

The Duane is an incredible dive day or night. Turtles and the occassional bull shark sighting. The Grove of course is spectacular and requires many, many dives to see it all.

Most of the reefs are good including the more popular ones Molasses, Pickles and French River.

Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary gets my vote! We saw 8 nurse sharks and a whole school of Barracuda on one dive as well as a bunch of tropicals.
Ber :lilbunny:

Shallow stuff.... Benwood, City of Washington, Molasses, Pickles, French Reef, Carysfort Lighthouse Reef and Ledge... Benwood is an awesome night dive!

Deeper stuff... Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb and Eagle...

Hmmm... 2 full days of diving... decisions decisions... :D

Silent World has a package of 10 dives for about $200... slightly more with taxes and such... used to be able to talk them into trading a 2-tank trip for a 1 tank night dive... :) ... new owners though and not sure how they do things...

Divers City offers 4-tank trips... including lunch... max. # of divers is 6 and cost per dive is higher... might be able to work out some deals with them if you dive multiple days... they also offer 3-tank trips as well. Bob and Barbara are tops in my book!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom