Florida is Out of Control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7:
There's actually been an artificial reef project that incorporates cremains into the structures for a while. The difference with this project is the Disney aspect to the whole thing.

I have to say... I'll dive it :D

Rachel

Oh great, we'll have to rewrite a line from The Sixth Sense "I see dead people" to "I dive dead people"

Which reminds me, when I pass on my wife understands I am going to be creamated and turned into 2 reef balls.. folks can dive Colin's Reef :D

There's actually been an artificial reef project that incorporates cremains into the structures for a while. The difference with this project is the Disney aspect to the whole thing.

I have to say... I'll dive it

Rachel

Rachel...I have to admit I will too. When you're passing through Key Largo, let me know and we'll do "the tour" together! :)

Pat

The Atlantis project looks pretty good to me. I first heard of it at Oceanfest in Ft. Lauderdale last year from the concept founder. Hey listen, this is about as close as any of us will get to diving Atlantis. And yes, this is an environmentally safe idea.Coral and wildlife will grow and flock to the spot and before long it will be a great divespot. So, I am taking the "let's wait and see" approach.

Actually, a necropolis, or city of the dead, has it's roots in ancient times. It just takes good old fashioned American capitalism to make it overly cheezy! That, and some really tacky consumers.

Artificial reefs are good, but frogman is right, this idea is just plain cheesy. Florida has a habit of turning something good into ridiculous tourist traps. Who knows what kinda of budget/environmental cuts this project will undergo to maximize profit.

I bet we'll be charged to moor our boats on site, and there will be a concession stand selling $10 bottles of water. Children under 12 enter free of course. Florida residents receive discount with proof of residency. :)

Whatever happened to that other idea? Mentioned a couple years ago, it was a big sculpture or something, a memorial to dead divers. Did that ever happen?

Nemrod:
Florida is out of control. The people there need to do something fast. I read about underwater amusement parks and some kinda stupid Atlantis crematory on hundreds of acres out of Key Biscayne. Soon the developers will rip up the reefs and pave them for underwater Walmarts. This is totally insane and hugely detrimental to the environment. How does this crap happen? N

Demand exists, someone steps up to fill it.

If there was no cash in it, there'd be no UW Wally World.

---
Ken

It's all Walt Disney's fault. Never should have let him and his rat buddy into the neighborhood. This state has been on a cultural slide ever since. And this in a state where alligator wrestling was primo entertainment!

frogman_5:
And this in a state where alligator wrestling was primo entertainment!

As an amateur alligator wrestler/airboat and swamp buggy ride operator/giant animal paper mache artist I take offense to that. lol

MantaRey:
I bet we'll be charged to moor our boats on site, and there will be a concession stand selling $10 bottles of water. Children under 12 enter free of course. Florida residents receive discount with proof of residency. :)

Don't forget about the 'waterproof' flowers for $35.00...So you can pay your respects...:D If there is a way to make a quick buck... S. Florida will find a way...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom