Suggestion Florida Conchs - SW Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ReefGuy

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
FWIW, I still HATE the division that's been done to the conchs (time isn't making it any better). This is the worst move I've seen on this board. Guess that's what I get for being ambivilant when the noise was being made.

If we're going to divide the conchs up, though, please create a forum for Southwest Florida. SW Florida does not identify well with either South Florida or Central Florida, and the dives that I do are now being posted in two forums, which is a pain.

Since Key West is farther west than Naples, maybe it should be considered a SW Florida location especially if you take the fast ferry there. Marco Island could be the dividing line so anything in the Keys west of that is placed in the SW Florida section. The cutoff in the Keys looks approximately to be on Summerland Key.
This will greatly simplify things. Diving in Marathon and Key West are two different propositions anyway and should not be lumped in the same section.
The Gulf of Mexico should maybe have its own section, like a Co-Prosperity Diving Sphere. Since people diving in wetsuits in Naples, FL; Pensacola; South Padre Island, TX; and Cozumel are all relieving themselves in the same body of water, the dive listings should maybe be comingled.
If you're diving dry WITHOUT a p-valve, then the old site listing system would apply.
Hope this helps.

Also, has enough time elapsed now? If this move is finalized, then I'd like another forum added. Doesn't it make sense to evaluate all of the changes at once?

Actually for the division to make any real sense, the division should be:

Panhandle, North East, South East, Gulfcoast, Keys and Springs.

(Although I still don't like the idea of dividing the conchs at all, the above just makes sense if you're gonna do it.)

NetDoc:
Not enough time has passed for us to evaluate this move.

ReefGuy....have patience. We're hashing this out behind the curtain and hope to have something that everyone can live with sometime this week. Lots of ideas and opinions on this one and we ARE listening!

I'm with you. Did you notice the variety of conchs we had at VB this weekend? We transcend all borders (except, of course, Florida).

cardzard:
Everyone knows my opinon on this matter and it has not changed​

UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I just wanted to offer my opinion... Keep the Conchs together! We all have our local dive buddies from the group based on various locations. Just keep the whole group united online if you want to keep this group active and communicating.

I guarantee there will be a whole lot of dive trips and get togethers missed out on by many because not everybody has time to peruse all the different post locations. Keep things in one area to make it easier for everyone to find.

Thanks for listening/reading! :eek:)

Kris

Well, I'm personally in favor of one forum, but if there is to be a division, Jeff's proposal (Panhandle, North East, South East, Gulfcoast, Keys and Springs) makes a great deal more sense than that we currently have.

KBulla:
Keep the Conchs together!

Too late, we're already divided, but it could be put back together.

Scuba_Jenny:
Maybe it should be resplit, to: The Keys, Tampa (cause they think they need their own forum, or are too good for the rest of us, or somethin'), and the rest of Florida.

My bad if anyone feels alienated. I guess that is my fault as I started it. I chose the Greater Tampa Bay area as that is what the news refers to it as and I wanted to be as inclusive as possible.

I dunno, I travel and I ask/beg to dive with everyone, always. When I started here on SB I couldn't get a single Conch to even respond to me. I found others in my same boat (Narocosis was one amongst many) and tried to gather us "misfits" together. That is all. I have, since the group got going, been diving with many a fellow conch. Some that call themselves Conchs, rightfully so, but haven't been diving in ages. so maybe some just needed a wake-up call, I dunno. Just know my intention was NEVER to divide - it was to get people off their bootys and start diving.

One united camp sounds wonderful to me. But when one is wanting to go local (within an hour or so drive) perhaps a local'ish forum. Whatever you guys decide - there is always a sign on my front door. It reads:

Ready and Willing to Dive - Lets Go

P.S. If we are that divided don't tell me about it cuz I am diving with some southern folk the middle of July :) I will just stay oblivious. Oh and I plan on heading up north and staying with Kchfl and diving with some local peeps there. So uh please leave me out of any divisions j/k :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom