Florida - Central going South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chardy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just emigrated here from the UK, living near Disney. I have a buddy coming over here on the 6th Aug looking to dive on the weekend after, prepared to travel a couple of hours. Sea or inland (Him TDI Extended range, me Trimix/CCR/Instructor), just want to get wet,

any suggestions gratefully received

Paul

My first choice would be the keys and then Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach. Closer to home would be Ginnie Springs (cave diving).

Moved to Florida section for more coverage.

What are you looking to do/dive, there are plenty of options from springs, to hunting, to reefs, drifts, fossils, wrecks both deep and shallow, near shore, way offshore and much more. Its about 2-3 hours for the springs and cave country, 2.5 to Jupiter/WPB, 3-3.5 for Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood, 1.5-2 to Venice and then more for other parts of the west coast. If you want to dive deeper it might be better to try the east coast as it gets deeper quicker and there are some outfits that do more tech dives - however that is usually during the week.

I know i am busy this coming weekend and off for medical leave for the next few weekends so i cant show anyone around as such. Welcome to SB and the US, you came to FL at the worst time - summer/hurricane season, it gets better through the autumn and "winter" time :wink:

Simon,

I think my buddy fancies caves but I need salt water, not taking the ybod into a cave yet. When you are later, if you fancy diving I'm up for that,

Regards,

Paul

simbrooks:
Moved to Florida section for more coverage.

What are you looking to do/dive, there are plenty of options from springs, to hunting, to reefs, drifts, fossils, wrecks both deep and shallow, near shore, way offshore and much more. Its about 2-3 hours for the springs and cave country, 2.5 to Jupiter/WPB, 3-3.5 for Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood, 1.5-2 to Venice and then more for other parts of the west coast. If you want to dive deeper it might be better to try the east coast as it gets deeper quicker and there are some outfits that do more tech dives - however that is usually during the week.

I know i am busy this coming weekend and off for medical leave for the next few weekends so i cant show anyone around as such. Welcome to SB and the US, you came to FL at the worst time - summer/hurricane season, it gets better through the autumn and "winter" time :wink:

Just as an FYI, even as an instructor, if you dont have the training for caves, its something to do before you go beyond the cavern zone (and in fact to enter the sites if nothing else) for safety. I dont know all your training and if you have wreck training as well, but its a little different environment to that.

Simon,

I appreciate the safety aspect of your post. I have cave experience and wreck penetration (deep Trimix) experience but the point is still valid. I think cavern for my buddy on a guided dive would be sensible,

Regards,

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom