Flooded regulator, need a technicians advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSUSciDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
crap! I flooded my pony bottles regulator on a salt water dive.. I had turned the tank off after pressurizing it and at some point it must have free flowed. I didnt noticed until I was about to get in the water for the second dive.. I ended up turning the tank on and diving it risking the SPG and service cost..

Just got home and took off the SPG and found some water on the needle...cracked the tank open to watch somewater come out of the 6'' HP hose onto some paper. It seamed like a very small amount came out until I blocked the hose with my finger and then let it blow out, a good amount came out then .

What I need to know...
should I open up the 1st as much I can ( LP and HP ports, bottom and top chambers) and soak this baby in distilled water over night? It's a zeagle flathead 7

Should I do the same with the hoses and 2nd stage? Zeagle Z

What about the SPG?

I'll have them serviced as soon as possible but it might not happen for a week or two.

Thank you

Last edited:
To add, when I opend the ports and top and bottom 'chambers' ( for lack of a better words) it appears to have no water inside).

When asking a similar question I was told a few different things: Most agreed to soak it all in fresh water. Blow it out dry with hoses removed followed by drying the hoses and second stages.

Depends on the diver if they'll service the reg and relube or just keep diving it.

If the SPG malfunctions it's destroyed. Possibly undamaged.

I've seen a few salt water drowned. One was freshwater rinsed and right back to use including the SPG. The other was rinced and the SPG discarded. The other was reg serviced and spg discarded.

Regards,
Cameron

P.s. I suspect the chambers look dry because you flushed the water out the HP hose, dry tank air dries a 1st stage quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I rinsed everything but the spg with warm distilled water and going to soak it until tomorrow night then blow it out / let dry.

Any thoughts on soaking an SPG?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom