Flipfins are proudly Made in the USA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have made changes to material that will last the life time (No Kidding!). The TPE (rubber) on the bottom of the foot pocket will be of the same material that is being used on the shopping cart wheels and does not wear off. The new Polypropylene (plastic) will be used to make Flipfins more robust than any other product on the market.

Regardless of the wear of the plastic, the fins still/will operate and function as they are supposed to. We have an excellent warranty by which we stand behind 100%.

Got them for Christmas, so it lasted just over 2 months. To be fair, I have only lost one loop so far, but the second one has started to tear now so it won't be long.

The straps are the only non-US made part which we source, along with the rest of the fins manufacturers, from Taiwan/China. And again, it happened to just the loop, and not the strap itself. Our fins will work with any standard buckle system, so a different kind of rubber straps can be used (loop or no loop).

Best Regards,

Omega Aquatics, Inc

Attachments

• OMEGA 030_Compressed.jpg
    OMEGA 030_Compressed.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 74
Got them for Christmas, so it lasted just over 2 months. To be fair, I have only lost one loop so far, but the second one has started to tear now so it won't be long.

But other than that they are well put together. I was particularly impressed with the non-slip rubber on the "sole" - useful on wet rocking dive boats.

My big worry is how long the clip that keeps them rigid in the swim position will last. It looks pretty solid, but if/when it finally breaks, you would have to toss the fins. Suspect I will cuss quite loudly when that happens. Until then, I will just keep loving them.

It'll weaken out pretty severly over time. You mention using these in TEC diving, this clip holding them in place is where you will see the biggest pitfall, after awhile any type of downward against anything or string downward kick will cause the fin to fold up. The lifetime warranty doesnt cover wearing out of the clip or walking through the clip as the major result of their biggest promoted benefit of walking with the fins on, you get to buy a new foot pocket. According to the FL sales rep, when they change the mold of the sole the warranty will also change your warranty from a lifetime to a 1 year.

Our fins will work with any standard buckle system, so a different kind of rubber straps can be used (loop or no loop).
Why would any manufacturer suggest a different kind of strap than the one ones they equip the fin with in the first place. Why not just equip the fin in the first place with a "different kind of strap".

Good luck with them.

I have a set, I love them. I've got 75 plus dives on them, and they show some wear on the sole but that's it. 50 some of those dives have been at the Catalina dive park where a short walk over some rough asphalt, down some rough concrete steps.

The situation where you said the "biggest pitfall" having the fin flip up into the walking position in not an issue. I have never had it flip-up while diving but if it did, a simple kick snaps it back into place. I don't see it as an issue at all.

I have retro-fitted with your spring straps. Nice.

It'll weaken out pretty severly over time. You mention using these in TEC diving, this clip holding them in place is where you will see the biggest pitfall, after awhile any type of downward against anything or string downward kick will cause the fin to fold up. The lifetime warranty doesnt cover wearing out of the clip or walking through the clip as the major result of their biggest promoted benefit of walking with the fins on, you get to buy a new foot pocket. According to the FL sales rep, when they change the mold of the sole the warranty will also change your warranty from a lifetime to a 1 year.

Why would any manufacturer suggest a different kind of strap than the one ones they equip the fin with in the first place. Why not just equip the fin in the first place with a "different kind of strap".

Good luck with them.

I have a set, I love them. I've got 75 plus dives on them, and they show some wear on the sole but that's it. 50 some of those dives have been at the Catalina dive park where a short walk over some rough asphalt, down some rough concrete steps.

The situation where you said the "biggest pitfall" having the fin flip up into the walking position in not an issue. I have never had it flip-up while diving but if it did, a simple kick snaps it back into place. I don't see it as an issue at all.

I have retro-fitted with your spring straps. Nice.

What was actually being said Dave was that if you used the fin and hit anything in the downward stroke or a forceful downward stroke it would fold up into the walking position, that may be clearer. You may have 75 plus dives on yours and thats great if yours dont function in that manner, mine do, they have over 200 dives on them and not even a year old, and you are correct in that a simple kick snaps them back into place, but that simple kick turns into a full flutter versus a modified flutter or frog kick, that doesnt work in a narrow tunnel of a cave or a confined hallway of a wreck. As far as retro-fitting your fins with the springs, mine were bought with the springs, the pull loop on them have repeatedly broken, I have had them replaced, and they still break.

What was actually being said Dave was that if you used the fin and hit anything in the downward stroke or a forceful downward stroke it would fold up into the walking position, that may be clearer.

I got that part, but I think up mean upward stroke. (If you are in a horizontal position.) I don't believe I could kick hard enough, even a strong frog kick to snap the fin into the walking position and if I did, the next kick would surely snap it back.

You may have 75 plus dives on yours and thats great if yours dont function in that manner, mine do, they have over 200 dives on them and not even a year old, and you are correct in that a simple kick snaps them back into place, but that simple kick turns into a full flutter versus a modified flutter or frog kick, that doesnt work in a narrow tunnel of a cave or a confined hallway of a wreck.

If the fin flipped up in this situation, why would it not work to snap it back? If you are so confined that you cannot kick it back into place you are in bigger trouble than a flipped up fin will cause.

As far as retro-fitting your fins with the springs, mine were bought with the springs, the pull loop on them have repeatedly broken, I have had them replaced, and they still break.

I've yet to experience that so I'll take your word for it. BTW, my straps don't require much pull to slip over my heal.

The bottom line for me is that these fins, unique as they are, work out very well for me. And they, like any other piece of dive gear, may not be a good fit for every diver in every diving situation.

What was actually being said Dave was that if you used the fin and hit anything in the downward stroke or a forceful downward stroke it would fold up into the walking position, that may be clearer.

As far as retro-fitting your fins with the springs, mine were bought with the springs, the pull loop on them have repeatedly broken, I have had them replaced, and they still break.

As a normal evolution with any new innovative product whether it is Flipfins or an iPod, modifications are constantly being made to improve and make it better. We have fixed the issue of "popping" on the downward stroke!!! It will not be possible with newly released series.

Regarding the above mentioned issue with loop on springs straps, we don't manufacture them. These are the same spring straps sold/used by the rest of retailers/manufacturers that use similar buckle system.

Regards,

Omega Aquatics, Inc

The reason I don't like flip-fins (besides the many possible failure points), is I know I'd get my stones busted something fierce if I showed up wearing flip-fins on a Jersey dive boat.

The reason I don't like flip-fins (besides the many possible failure points), is I know I'd get my stones busted something fierce if I showed up wearing flip-fins on a Jersey dive boat.

Yeah its a rule six violation.

Yeah its a rule six violation.

Some people are just destine to be followers.

Did not someone say, "If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.":wink:

Back
Top Bottom