Flights to Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having done one trip in 2018 and scheduling another for 2020 right now here's a few things I've perceived on getting to Egypt from Canada:

(This should be applicable as most Calgary routes seem to bounce through Toronto)

- Firstly, I've been watching prices for a while and there seems to be a lot of variation as to what is cheap at any particular moment. Right now I'm looking at about 3 months out to optimize prices but it's hard to predict.
- Some sort of intermediate stop in Europe seems to improve costs. I try and make it an interesting/useful stop as part of the trip rather than just a layover.
- In 2018 my stopover was Dubrovnik - there was a reasonable deal with Turkish to get to Hurghada from there. Beware Turkish and schedule changes but they did have a deal for Red Sea destinations where a bag of dive gear was free.
- For 2020 I'm looking at Zurich as a stopover; I have a friend there and there are cheap 'vacation' flights with Edelweiss.
- For Canada to Europe Condor and TapAir seem to pop up frequently for cheaper flights. TapAir is star alliance.
- Hurghada seems much easier to get to and the car ride to MA is not bad - I used 'stephen's taxi' in 2018 and they seemed well organized.
- Don't try to taxi/bus to/from Cairo - long and boring drive. Just pay for the flight. I would not recommend GoBus if you value being alive...

Anyways - just some random thoughts. There doesn't seem to be one universal solution that is always applicable for this route. Deals can be found by playing with Google Flights.

Usually, you just have to communicate your flight number and arrival time at Hurghada or Marsa Alam airport, and your liveaboard organization will arrange your transfer for free (in fact, it's included in the price).

Did they not brief you guys about finning away from the longimanus? That guy in the split fins is doing pretty much everything they told us not to do.

Friends don't let friends wear split fins

If you can, it's better to arrive and depart Hurghada via the domestic terminal (so via Cairo) than the International Terminal

Firstly the International terminal is packed with tourists and kids on cheap package holidays. Secondly the Customs and check-in's in the International Terminal have a habit of applying random "tourist tax" to people (cash preferably)

The Domestic Terminal is a breeze and very quiet. Our group had quite a lot of over weight bags, but they waved us through. Wouldn't happen in the International Terminal

If you can, it's better to arrive and depart Hurghada via the domestic terminal (so via Cairo) than the International Terminal

Firstly the International terminal is packed with tourists and kids on cheap package holidays. Secondly the Customs and check-in's in the International Terminal have a habit of applying random "tourist tax" to people (cash preferably)

The Domestic Terminal is a breeze and very quiet. Our group had quite a lot of over weight bags, but they waved us through. Wouldn't happen in the International Terminal

I don’t know, I thought of Hurghada more of a backwater compared to Cairo - hence wondering: And doing so by arriving in Cairo in the international terminal (with less crowding than Hurghada?) would somehow not invite attempts at leveraging the „tourist tax“?

I don’t know, I thought of Hurghada more of a backwater compared to Cairo - hence wondering: And doing so by arriving in Cairo in the international terminal (with less crowding than Hurghada?) would somehow not invite attempts at leveraging the „tourist tax“?

No. Hurghada, is a tourist only destination, so there are lots of opportunities especially from the package holiday lot.

Departing Hurghada via domestic terminal (you're still staying in country) lots less hassle

Hurghada Int airport's main customers are low cost no frills carriers from UK and EU

Usually, you just have to communicate your flight number and arrival time at Hurghada or Marsa Alam airport, and your liveaboard organization will arrange your transfer for free (in fact, it's included in the price).

The one I did in 2018, as well as the two I have booked in 2020 seem to only include transport from the nearest airport (so, RMF for Port Ghalib). They were all willing to arrange additional transport but it was additional cost. I chose to deal direct with the transport company so I could customize the timing/route without an intermediary but I'm sure if you just want the most efficient route booking through the dive supplier probably makes sense....

So, I suppose it is different with each operator.

Interesting about Hurghada domestic vs. international. I didn't have any problems at international but I'm sure it helped walking straight towards the booths selling visas and ignoring the 'helpers' milling about (and perhaps they are less aggressive at 03:00). Luggage collection was a bit tedious and I ended up as the last one out of the terminal but that was simply due to queuing and my bags being last off the plane.

Departing from Cairo was less than fun - several security checks and I believe a requirement for paper boarding passes to even get in the terminal. TripAdvisor has some good tutorials on all the airports and what to expect.

Lisa at Aggressor KNOWS HER STUFF – call her. You won’t be able to beat her pricing or schedule!

Book the Red Sea Aggressor I - Brothers Itenerary - Amazing diving and crew. Can't stress that enough!

Lisa will schedule a private car between Hurghada and PG, and it is very comfortable - transfers were flawless and safe

I would NOT stay at Siva Port Ghalib – AI food was gross - inedible!

I might even say if I did it again I would consider staying in Hurghada Marriot BEFORE and after the LOB trip.

And being in Toronto, she may put you on Turkish air to Istanbul, then Hurghada.

Note: I was there June 2008

Thanks for posting the Red Sea Aggressor I info & video. I looked at their website and learned that they have $949 off for 2019 and have 7 spots are still available for December 21-28, 2019 trip. So I grabbed a spot and booked a roundtrip flight from Houston to Hurgada with Turkish airlines for $1630. The flights have a stop in Istanbul.

@Dan_T , $1630 is the airfare portion? Seems high.

@Dan_T , $1630 is the airfare portion? Seems high.

Yes. For the whole roundtrip flights (Houston-Istanbul-Hurgada)
Leaving Houston at 20:55 on December 19, 2019
Arriving Hurgada at 02:55 on December 21, 2019
Leaving Hurgada at 03:50 on December 29, 2019
Arriving Houston at 19:05 on December 29, 2019.

I guess that's the problem with last minute trip. But, $949 discount is hard to resist :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom