Flights Bali to Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All

Im not sure if this has been discussed yet but I heard Air Asia have suspended their Manado flights from Jakarta. I was going to originally take that route as the cost was economical but now Im faced with return flights via Lion Air or Garuda from Denpasar for about $400 US return. I have looked at other cheaper options and it looks like Air Asia to Jakarta then possibly Batavia to Manado. Lion Air from Jakarta to Manado seems so darn expensive! Has anyone flown Batavia and any reports? I havent flown Ind domestic and Im rather pensive about it. I also dont know anything about the luggage restrictions on Batavia or other domestic airways.

Any assistance or advice is very much appreciated.

Travel date is May next year.

Thanks.

In general, for flights between major cities, luggage allowance is 25 kilograms.
Excess baggage is 25000 IDR (2.8 USD) per kg.

FYI, I just flew Jakarta-Manado using Lion Air last month.
It cost me 800,000 IDR (~90 USD).
It was a one way flight, not return.
Bali-Manado should roughly cost the same (mayble slightly cheaper).

I'd recommend Lion over Batavia because they're using new 737 planes.
Mind you, Lion Air is a no-frill airline, so you would not get lunch/dinner/etc.

A tip for buying airline tickets in Indo:
Except for major holidays, it's cheaper to buy them around 1 or 2 week before the flight date.

I'd stay away from Air Asia if possible.
They charge you separately for your diving gear.

HTH

It may be easier to have your dive operator in Indonesia purchase a domestic ticket for you. Ask them if they can do that or perhaps a local travel agency can help.

I had heard also that the prices on domestic flights can start out high but as it gets closer to the departure date the prices may drop. Do NOT forget to save some rupiah for your airport departure tax. Every airport is different so ask.

A tip for buying airline tickets in Indo:
Except for major holidays, it's cheaper to buy them around 1 or 2 week before the flight date.

Agreed, sometimes even 3-4 weeks. But occasionally there are outrageous sales - best to keep an eye on the airline sites.

[/QUOTE]I'd stay away from Air Asia if possible.
They charge you separately for your diving gear. HTH[/QUOTE]

I flew Air Asia with my gear quite often last summer & nobody ever asked what was in my suitcase.

I flew Air Asia with my gear quite often last summer & nobody ever asked what was in my suitcase.

That's what their website is saying.

airasia.com/id/en/travelinformation/feescheduleforqzflight.html

I haven't actually tried this myself.

Call me paranoid if you want, but when I travel on budget airlines in developing countries - last thing I want to do is ID a big suitcase filled with really expensive scuba equipment that I need :).

This is my tips with AA:
1. Prebook your baggage, much cheaper than paying overweight at the counter.
2. Do not put PADI, NAUI and other similar stickers which will indicate you're a diver on your luggage.
3. No need to declare you're bringing scuba gear - so far they never ask me.
4. In case your baggage is overweight (or you forget to prebook) now you can tell them you bring sport equipment and wish to pay your luggage as sport equipment; much cheaper than paying overweight at the counter.

Hey Thanks for all the advice Guys

So Im better off buying tickets 3-4 weeks beforehand? I always like to book at least 3 months in advance so Im not stranded. But I guess there are quite a few airlines and I wont be left without a flight. There is a direct Lion Air flight from Denpasar to Manado. I think I will keep my eye on that one. Im not travelling during Holidays (Mid May) as far as I know so hopefully I will get a flight.

What about Jakarta domestic airport? Is it bearable to wait a few hours?

So all the Lion Air, Merpati, Batavia flights go out from the same airport?

Respect
G

IMO you won't have problem getting ticket 1-4 weeks before the flight date.

But if you're worried, you can check the Bali-Manado airfare for the next week or two.
That should be what the "sane" prices are.
Then decide if your peace of mind is worth the price difference.

The Bali-Jakarta followed by Jakarta-Manado flights are your obvious backup plan.
There are 10-20 Bali-Jkt daily flights and 5(?) Jkt-Manado daily flights.

Jakarta's airport domestic terminal can be pretty crowded but it's definitely bearable for a couple of hours.

Yes, they all fly from the same airport.
AFAIK, no Indonesian city have multiple public commercial airports.

Anyway, good luck and hope you'll enjoy visiting our country :)

Thanks Izecson, btw is there a place for locker storage of bags at the airport if I want to leave my luggage in a secure lock up and go for a wander in between flights if there is a long period in between?

Back
Top Bottom