fishing nets at twin rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwhkg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Reports from Anilao say that boats using fishing nets were spotted today in front of Planet Dive area fishing for the jacks.

Isnt that area a Marine Sanctuary?

it's all over facebook, this is one of those times i log in here to check, sad indeed. 2 tons of jacks fished out within 2 days selling for Php150/kg.... i'd say castrate those fishermen.

Is there anything the diving community can do to put pressure for more aggressive patrolling and fining/arresting guys who violate the marine preserves? Anyone we can write to at the Bantay Dagat etc?

Bantay dagat is useless and yet they increased fees by 50%. Batangas government is silent...

heres' the culprits, even set up shop right on the shore

illegal net catch of jack fish at Twin rocks marine sanctuary in Anilao Batangas on 13 Oct 2012 - YouTube

wow.....like most philippine government officials,can be payed off....corruption is rife.....not many marine parks are fully protected,not many patrol's etc....
thats why theres not many big fish in the philippines...they are all at the market place....mind you,the philippine people are very very poor....

The diveshops need to work together with the local government to encourage the empowerment of the Bantay Dagat, and their proper management. It is certainly not easy, but if no one TRIES to make the Bantay Dagat do their job then they certainly won't as they probably have an awful salary.

In Malapascua we're lucky enough to have a project on-going with Save Philippine Seas to train and empower the Bantay Dagat so that they can be more effective at combatting this kind of thing...

Education.

IN my 14 years of diving at Anilao I belive I have seen Bantay Dagat only 3-4 times, and each of those times just harrasing boats looks for dive passes. 3 major incidents that I;m aware of (slaughter of whale shark, construction destroying secret bay amd now this) have happened right under the noses of BD and all the while a 50% increase in dive fees (election time is approaching)

I also belive the corruption and ineptness of BD is one reason that WWF pulled out of this project

Its just plain shamefull

I'm in Anilao now, should be diving Twin Rocks in the next couple of days. I'll report back as to whether theyre still there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom