Apo Island Survey 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A team led by Dr. Rene Abesamis, UP Marine Science Institute, led this year's survey of the coral reefs of Apo Island, Negros Or, Philippines. The survey investigated the fish diversity & biomass and the coral cover. Surveys of Apo have been running for 40 years now, started by the late Prof. A. C. Alacala. The insights of how fish and corals in Apo change over time are very valuable for marine biologists to understand 1. what is the effect of a marine protected area (no fishing or diving) on the east side of Apo 2. how do the reefs recover from typhoons (Yolanda, Odette).

Survey results are not completely analyzed yet, but especially the marine protected area looked lush, with high coral cover and high fish biodiversity. I was invited to join as the survey's photographer/videographer.

Some reef scenes from Apo, both from the sanctuary as well as from Chapel/Katipanan on the other side of the island. I also went to the "deep", mesophotic zone of the reef past 35 meters:

And a marine reptile video from the same week:

A view of the reefs in the no-take marine protected area:
53366493597_5b35bcc61d_b.jpg

Thanks for the videos. I have 20 dives there. Going back next year. Absolutely beautiful!

I believe the initial idea of creating a sanctuary met a lots of resistance especially from the fishermen. Fortunately, the decision was proved to be a huge success and many places had followed the idea and equally with fantastic result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom