Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, thanks for all the awesome information on this thread and i've read your summer shoot out too, must have been a tonne of effort, many thanks.

One question, i've been speaking to my local Inon dealer for strobes and he reckons that he modifies the S90 housings to work with Inon strobes. He said "it needed the fibre optic holder changed to fit the Inon diameter cable and to polish the window behind it as it was poorly moulde"

Have you found anything similar when using Inon strobes with the S90? Also the end of the fiber optics on my brothers Inon Z240 has some kind of mirror which sits in front of the lens, is this any better or worse than just having the fiber optics cut off and stuck in the fiber optic holder?

One question, i've been speaking to my local Inon dealer for strobes and he reckons that he modifies the S90 housings to work with Inon strobes. He said "it needed the fibre optic holder changed to fit the Inon diameter cable and to polish the window behind it as it was poorly moulde"

Have you found anything similar when using Inon strobes with the S90? Also the end of the fiber optics on my brothers Inon Z240 has some kind of mirror which sits in front of the lens, is this any better or worse than just having the fiber optics cut off and stuck in the fiber optic holder?

First off just every now an then I have to call BS and this time on whoever told you the above info.

No polishing of anything is needed, the flash port is not "poorly" molded and Inon strobes of which I own two work perfect, absolutely perfect with the FIX90 housing using the PROVIDED thread-in strobe cord adapter.

You simply push the ends of the optical cables into the small set of holes in the threaded cable adapter, it pinches them tight and go shoot. To remove them just grasp gently and pull straight out. Here is the standard, provided Inon fiber optic cable installed into the FIX fiber optic adapter. There are four holes, two are for YS and two are for Inon I think:

IMG_0180.jpg

Whatever and whoever he was and no matter how "expert" he/she is they are simply incorrect and lacking in knowledge in point of fact. Inon S2000/D2000 or Z240 strobes and a FIX90 or G11 housing, it simply does not get easier or better.

Another thing, you do not "cut off" the ends of the Inon fiber optic cables, they come that way and that is how all Inon cables are (that I have used). He must be confusing YS etc with Inon which do have some sort of poorly designed plug thing on the end that does need to be cut off, who knows. In the link here you can see that the Inon cable has one end with a right angle connector at the strobe (or the optional straight) and a raw end that simply slips into either the Inon rubber plugs or the FIX optical adapter.

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=135_68_48&products_id=208

Hope this helps, good luck.

N

Last edited:
Thats exactly what i thought from the research i'd done. thanks again dude!
one fix s90 bought today! cant wait to get my hands on it!!

Thats exactly what i thought from the research i'd done. thanks again dude!
one fix s90 bought today! cant wait to get my hands on it!!

I am hopeful that you will enjoy your new rig as much as I am mine, good luck. Remember, nothing is perfect, this is pretty darn close in my book. YRMV.

N

Hi everyone !

I'm a follower of this post since almost its beginning and it helped me into my choice of my new gear that I purchased a few months ago... A S90 with FIX housing of course! I've added some UCLS parts and a S&S YS-110alpha strobe. (FYI, everything is coming from Reef altough I'm living in France :wink: )
I wasn't following the post since my first trip with my gear in Malaysia in April, but I finally managed to read all the missed pages about my new favorite gear, and I had a great surprise about the new and cheap 52mm adapter which brings back to my mind the question of going wide with an UWL-04.

But I've a little question about that: if I invest in a wide angle wet lens, my only one strobe won't be enough to cover a scene, is it? I should invest too in a second YS-110alpha, shouldn't I?

Depends what kind of wide angle. fe the very panoramic ones no amount of strobes will help that much. For closer up wide angle I've seen friends who get pretty decent results with a single. Lot comes down to technique

LaPointe,
one strobe is enough for CFWA (Close Focus Wide Angle), but for real wide angle and distand big objects like a wreck even 2 strobes won't have enough power to iluminate the whole field. You can use one strobe to illuminate something in the foreground and leave the background in ambient light. To realize that you will need some time to experiment how to set your camera and strobe to get a perfect exposure.
In any case, a second strobe is always a good idea ad will offer you much more ways to use light in a creative way.

Chris

Here quick and not very good photo made with one D-2000 strobe and a UWL 100 (100°) wet lens on my old Fuji E900 P&S, but as you can see the coverage is quite good for near (3m/10ft).
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/118777

Hi everyone !

I'm a follower of this post since almost its beginning and it helped me into my choice of my new gear that I purchased a few months ago... A S90 with FIX housing of course! I've added some UCLS parts and a S&S YS-110alpha strobe. (FYI, everything is coming from Reef altough I'm living in France :wink: )
I wasn't following the post since my first trip with my gear in Malaysia in April, but I finally managed to read all the missed pages about my new favorite gear, and I had a great surprise about the new and cheap 52mm adapter which brings back to my mind the question of going wide with an UWL-04.

But I've a little question about that: if I invest in a wide angle wet lens, my only one strobe won't be enough to cover a scene, is it? I should invest too in a second YS-110alpha, shouldn't I?

One strobe is enough to do the close focus wide angle and in many brightly lit tropical areas you will find that a single strobe can light your main subject just fine and while the corners will go dark almost as if vignetting it is kind of pleasing effect and draws your eye to the subject. But, yes, two strobes are needed to light an entire scene and with either the UFL165AD or Fisheye UWL-04 even two strobes will not completely cover.

N

Hi all,
I've managed to get through all 24 pages of this thread - I've decided to go ahead with ordering an S90 with a Fix housing however as this is my first foray into u/w photography, I'm reluctant to spend the extra $$$ on a strobe etc.

I've gone with the 28AD adapter and have ordered a INON UWL-100 28AD with a dome unit. My question is, how limited with this combination will I be without a strobe or two? Does anyone use this particular combination, and how limited do they find themselves without the extra lighting that a strobe provides.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Damo

Back
Top Bottom