Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving deeper than 8 meters, the strobe is important for close photos, macro to about 2 meters. If you are shooting items more than about 3 meters away, the strobe isn't going to much light them up anyway. In my limited opinion, the strobe is much more important than the more expensive housing (or camera).

In my limited opinion, the strobe is much more important than the more expensive housing (or camera).

Sorry, this contradicts slightly with your previous statement, do you mean more or less? Confused:wink:

Damo

Sorry, this contradicts slightly with your previous statement, do you mean more or less? Confused:wink:

Damo

Having at least some strobe is more important than having the better housing, or than having a better camera. An exception to this is when you are shooting a large scene, at a distance where the strobe isn't going to do any good anyway.

Hi all,
I've managed to get through all 24 pages of this thread - I've decided to go ahead with ordering an S90 with a Fix housing however as this is my first foray into u/w photography, I'm reluctant to spend the extra $$$ on a strobe etc.

I've gone with the 28AD adapter and have ordered a INON UWL-100 28AD with a dome unit. My question is, how limited with this combination will I be without a strobe or two? Does anyone use this particular combination, and how limited do they find themselves without the extra lighting that a strobe provides.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Damo

You will want a strobe. Strobes can follow you through upgrades.

But, with that lens, you might get some excellent photos, especially B&W with natural light.

N

Argh, don't say that Nemrod, my partner won't thank you!

I'm still debating on the strobe, it's something I'd love to have, just wonder if I "need" it.

Btw, thanks for all your work on this thread, your contribution was vital in me spending way more money than I previously expected!! :)

Damo

DaG - strobes will change your life!

or maybe not. but they will change the way you take photos for the rest of your life! :)

Does anybody know why when shooting in RAW (s90, Fix housing, Fix UWL-04) some viewers/editors, such as Picasa for example, show terrible vignetting at widest setting? Canon DPP shows only slight one sometimes in the corners. When the file is converted to TIF the vignetting is the same in Picasa as in DPP. I have not tried Photoshop. It means that the image has more information that is processed in DPP. So why DPP does not take all the pixels?

Interesting catch... yup, the canon software is cutting off about 3% of the image. 10.1 versus about 9.8 meg. The W-20 has the same issue. Other software shows a small amount of black corners, but the canon software does not. Very odd.

When I compared 2 visible rectangles of the same RAW image, viewed in Picasa one original and the other one after Canon DPP conversion to TIF without any cropping, the difference is around 20% (see attached images).

Attachments

• IMG_1341pic.jpg
    IMG_1341pic.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1341dpp.jpg
    IMG_1341dpp.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 83
DaG,
Get a strobe, get a strobe, get a strobe...:D You will be a lot happier taking more photos and getting better images that you can share with everyone.

Sorry, didn't read post well enough as with the s90 no wet lenses you could get by for a while but ideally the wide angle wants at least one if not two strobes. But I shoot mostly macro. Still you will be much more successful with a strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom