Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I meant the FIX ST Mount would be a good choice if bayonet mount was a priority with the UWL-04.

I am still leaning towards the UWL-04 52/67 with the FIX52mm ring adapter. I am not convinced changing lenses is that important to me.

Now if someone would report a thumbs up on macro with UCL165 M67 + 67 to 52 adapter + FIX 52mm ring adapter I would probably place my order on the whole lot.

It should also be noted that one of the advantages of using the $200 3-piece adapter is that it locks the screw mounts in place, thereby making it easier to bayonet lenses on and off. There might be some "screwing/unscrewing"(for the lack of a better word) problems using the one piece 52mm mount since using it with any other lenses other than the UWL-04 would mean multiple screw threads:

1) housing to 52mm ring
2) the 52-67 step up ring,
3) the 67mm thread on the UCL macro lens,
4) one more set if you intend to stack the UCLs

I think it can be quite tricky to choose which particular thread you are trying to change especially during a dive...While I do not have first hand experience with the UWL-04, I believe the one piece 52mm adapter ring is best used if you intend to keep to the UWL-04 for the entire dive...

my 2 cents...

I concur with Fongalv's sentiments.

What I do when shooting my AD lenses (UFL165AD and UCL165AD) with the 10Bar or my DIY AD to 67mm adapters with the FIX 67 lens mount kit is that I wrap a single layer of blue (or any color vinyl) vinyl tape around the 67mm mount and overlapping the 10Bar/DIY AD to 67mm adapter. This prevents me from having to overly tighten the pieces together and prevents the threaded section from unscrewing rather than the bayonet section from unlocking. The vinyl tape is cheap, clean and removes easy with no residue and is good for a day of diving. The lock ring on the FIX 67mm lens mount kit generally is fairly stable if it is simply snugged down with the screw and the anti-rotation pin is assured to be engaged.

I suppose a similar concept could be used with an all threaded mount to control which thread is the "active" thread. As well, a small dab of blue Loctite could be used in a similar manner.

Be warned, Loctite and certain types of plastic do not get along well so I would be very careful in applying Loctite such that it is on metal parts only and no where near my port lens or camera lens etc.

N

Fongalv, thanks for the input.

I have actually convinced myself that I will not be changing lenses underwater so am leaning in the direction of the threaded FIX M52 ring adapter and lenses/adapters.

However, having said that, an opportunity just came up a few minutes ago and I will be looking at a used UFL165AD that came available locally for half the price of a new one. I am arranging to the lens later and if it is in acceptable condition, I just might grab it for the asking price of $220.

In that event, I guess I will complete the rest of my set-up around that lens and the necessary adapters.

Thanks to everyone's inputs so far, I actually am confident to make a decision in either direction because of various reports on what combinations work or don't work.

I have never dragged a decision on what lens to purchase as I have this time around. With all the helpful info constantly streaming in, it makes it oh so easy to wait for further info. :D

This sudden development with the used UFL165Ad just might be what will push me to making the decision. :D

here are some example of pics taken with the UWL-04 and the S90 at 28 mm
First a land ( bad ) picture :

4687280445_ea651a6f18.jpg

but the UWL-04 seems perfectly usable on land ..

Next red sea fan , in the up side of the picture you can see a little bit of vignetting :

4687917298_2c32a397b3.jpg

another of the sea fan :

4687918024_068dbf1e3d.jpg

4687279195_88a0cfccdd.jpg

and here is a small fish name girelle , my beggining with the S90 in macro mode :

4687914476_49a858e7d0.jpg

This is a very quick fish , always moving , the shutter lag of the s90 is pretty good !!:blinking::blinking:

I'm really glad to own the S90 ;

I did forget the french morray eel ,

4687916536_4774ca109c.jpg

wide angle too , but the picture has been cropped a little , too much negative space .
I post it because the white sponge looks not too burn ..

I have posted a few more test shots, this time an initial run through in the pool with the Fisheye UWL-04 vs Inon UFL-165AD vs Inon UWL-100 plus dome.

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=264

This are initial tests, they are for relative FOV and absolutely do not draw any conclusions about exposure, fuzziness, blur, exposure, white balance or anything other than FOV.

No, the exposure are not on, some are fuzzy, again, as I have shown before, I actually can take in focus and correctly exposed photos with decent WB but that is not my goal for the initial pool test, the only---ONLY---goal was a basic relationship for FOV between the lenses.

N

Nice photos Girellator! Are you using two strobes ? Your images are always very well lit.

I bought the used UFL165AD last week. I could not pass up such a good deal at $180. Went diving this weekend and brought my FIX S90 for the first time. Unfortunately, I still don't have any adapters to mount the UFL165AD so I just shot with the native port.

I managed only two dives and now fully understand how short the battery life on the S90 is. I shot mostly on Manual and 1/3 power.

All these shots taken with the native port of the FIX S90 and a single INON S2000 strobe.

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back