Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks Nemrod! Sorry about the bike accident. After reading this thread, I finally ordered FIXS90, 2xS2000 strobes, 52MM FIX adapter and UWL-04... I will go to Miami to pick it up next Friday since I live in Central America. I am so exicted! I got the UWL-04 from blackscatter and the rest I will pick it up on Reef Photo and Video. I still don't know what to get for Macro Options, so if you have any suggestions, they will be welcome.

Many thanks to this thread and the many contributors(especially Nemrod). I have since had bout 10 dives with my new FIX90 rig(up from a previous G7+OEM housing) and I must say I pretty like the results of UWA underwater. The rig is quite compact and a small strobe is probably what I'm missing to achieve the perfect(for me) diving setup that does UWA and macros nicely.

Heres what I got:

FIXS90 > 67mm adapter > 10bar ADM(sanded down adapter) > INON UFL or,

FIXS90 > 67mm adapter > 10bar ADM(sanded down adapter) > 10bar ADF(sanded down adapter) > +10 Reefnet Subsee

DSC_0248-1.jpg

Using the Inon twin AD lens holder, I can change lenses in ~6seconds!

The main "gripes" I have is the notorious flaring with the UFL which I'm still trying to learn how to suppress, also how to minimise damage the acrylic dome from transiting between boat and water, and also how to shoot without strobe/flash since the housing and wet lenses pretty much blocked out the S90s flash, but overall I am still quite happy with the results!

I have a retractable clip landward that clips the tray to my BC, anyone has any advice how to tether the lenses(especially the UFL) to the tray? I can't seem to find anywhere to secure a fishing line or something!

5th post and photos!

DSC_0251.jpg

Both lenses bayonet on and off.
The focus light is a big blue 5W in a DIY holder with INON Z-joint, subsee was a super backorder from almost a year ago, both from my previous rig.

Oh lucky Fongalv who own a + 10 dioptries sub see magnifier !!I'm waiting mine since a long long time ..):
I own also one but the old one which is also 10 dioptries , mys husband is going to build a ring to screw it on my 52 mm ring . Because I think that this is the best lense to try to do supermacro with the S90 ...:)
The other mean is to use Inon macro lense stacked one on the other , but it seems difficult to use .
But to be honnest I've not tried to much macro during my last dives , I'm so happy with the UWL-04 , and more now that I've got the 52 mm ring adaptater , NO (significant )VIGNETTING AT 28 MM and a very very wide angle .
On some pictures ( not all ) some vignetting in the right low corner but very very little , and easy to remove with photoshop.

Last edited:
Many thanks to this thread and the many contributors(especially Nemrod). I have since had bout 10 dives with my new FIX90 rig(up from a previous G7+OEM housing) and I must say I pretty like the results of UWA underwater. The rig is quite compact and a small strobe is probably what I'm missing to achieve the perfect(for me) diving setup that does UWA and macros nicely.

Heres what I got:

FIXS90 > 67mm adapter > 10bar ADM(sanded down adapter) > INON UFL or,

FIXS90 > 67mm adapter > 10bar ADM(sanded down adapter) > 10bar ADF(sanded down adapter) > +10 Reefnet Subsee

DSC_0248-1.jpg

Using the Inon twin AD lens holder, I can change lenses in ~6seconds!

The main "gripes" I have is the notorious flaring with the UFL which I'm still trying to learn how to suppress, also how to minimise damage the acrylic dome from transiting between boat and water, and also how to shoot without strobe/flash since the housing and wet lenses pretty much blocked out the S90s flash, but overall I am still quite happy with the results!

I have a retractable clip landward that clips the tray to my BC, anyone has any advice how to tether the lenses(especially the UFL) to the tray? I can't seem to find anywhere to secure a fishing line or something!

I know what you did with the "sanded down" but others might be interested in exactly what it was you sanded down and why.

Nice looking rig :) .

Yes, you do need a strobe.

No, the UFL165AD has no place to attach a lanyard which is why mine managed to escape me and was fortunately, two days later, rescued by the Jupiter Dive Center (thanks JDC). Your arrangement using the 10Bar adapters and Inon AD lenses is the only way to have quick change lenses underwater unless one wants to restrict themselves to Inon bayonet only and gets the FIX 28AD lens mount kit. Threading lenses on and off underwater just does not work well for me.

N

Creating a loop for securing wet lenses:

Materials needed:
- 1-1.5mm monoflilament fishing line
- crimp sleeves for the diameter of the fishing line
- a specific plyer for crimping the sleeves

You may protect the lens body from abrasions from the sleeve(s) wrapping around self-vulcanizing rubber tape. This also help that the loop don't slip off

1. crimp a loop big enough to fit around the lens and to create a second loop for the clip
2. slide the loop over the lensbody, slide the second crimp sleeve over the slack part to create the second loop. (basically a #8 shape)
3. with help of somebody or a hook pull as strong you can on the small loop while pushing down the sleeve to make the loop around the lens fit snug
4. crimp the small loop, trim the ends and you are done

If the loop around the lens is not tight enough you can wrap around some turns of self-vulcanising tape to fix it there.

If you don't have the fishing gear needed, you may have a friend doing that for you or asking friendly for help in a tackle shop may be helpfull as well.

Make the small loop long enough to find and clip it easy, but not too long that he may float in front of the lens and so get on the picture.

Chris

Last edited:
One of the board members, maybe it was Ozzie, asked me to test my new UWL-04 with the provided step up ring and the FIX 67mm kit (for the FIXS90 housing) to see if this was a useful combination. I regret to report that IMO this is not a good combination for this lens. At 28mm there is severe vignetting that does not resolve until the camera is zoomed to 50mm focal length. While this still represents an increase in FOV over the flat port at 28mm (no lens) it just does not make sense to spend 400 dollars for a lens that is apparently capable of a full 160 degree FOV and cut it down to what I measure would be about 90 degrees or slightly less.

The reason the camera has to be zoomed to 50mm is that the combination of the FIX provided step up ring (provided with the UWL-04) with the 67mm FIX lens mounting kit results in the UWL-04 being way forward of it's optimal position.

Again, simply my opinion, if you are wanting to shoot the (threaded) UWL-04 then you need to purchase the new one piece 52mm adapter (less than 50 dollars). FIX also makes a three piece 52mm lens mount kit (priced at 200 dollars) and since I don't have this kit I can only speculate that it would work and my guess is it would require a nominal zoom to 35mm (which is acceptable).

JFYI, there is also a bayonet version of the UWL-04 for the Sea Tool mount and while not compatible with the Inon 28AD or AD bayonet mounts, Sea Tool/FIX does make several adapters and also a FIX90 ST lens mounting kit. Obviously unless somebody wants to start funding my madness I simply cannot test all of this for compatibility.

There is a discrepancy in the reported specs on the Fisheye UWL-04. Their web page states the lens is .42X and 130 degree FOV (I assume diagonal) whereas the specification and instruction sheet that came with the lens states a DFOV greater than 160 degree and .42X. It is my thought, based on preliminary measurements that this lens working with the S90 in the FIX90 housing we are getting closer to the 160 number than the 130.

N

Hi Nemrod,

As always many thanks for all the pioneering work. I pretty much have gotten down to making a decision on mounts and lenses for my FIX S90.

The bayonet is nice but not a deal breaker. The M67 threaded lenses have a good future application with ikelites and other brands so they have a good chance of being useful for future camera / housings that might come along.

So here is what I have decided for the rest of my set-up and will see how best to source them locally or from abroad.

FIX 52mm Threaded adapter (1 piece)
Fisheye UWL-04 M52/M67
INON UCL-165 M67 Close up lens
Inon Double Lens Holder M67
another s2000 strobe

This set is about $200 less than if I go with the

FIX 28AD + UFL165AD

or

FIX M67 + 10Bar AD adapter + UFL-165AD

Those 3pc. FIX adapters are almost $200! and the UFL165 AD is about $50 more the the UWL-04.

Will I be able to use the M52-M67 adapter ring supplied with the UWL-04 to mount the Inon UCL165 M67?

Have I missed something? Thank you everyone. This thread has been the most useful source of information to me.

Hi Nemrod,

Will I be able to use the M52-M67 adapter ring supplied with the UWL-04 to mount the Inon UCL165 M67?

No, it has a 52mm female and a 67mm male thread. To mount a UCL165-67 you need a female 67mm and a male 52mm. A 67 to 52 step up ring should be easy to find.

N

Thanks Nemrod, I am sure I can find the step up ring to use with the Inon UCL165 M67.

Was wondering if anyone has the set up for macro this way. I guess vignetting in macro may not be a big deal but nevertheless I still have to wonder if it will work well set up this way.

Am surprised to hear that the FIX 67mm adapter and the supplied adapter ring of the UWL-04 does not result in a good combination.

So my Wide angle solution is pretty much sorted out and if I can get someone with experience on the FIX M52 adapter ring + 52 to 67mm step-up ring and Inon UCL165AD Lens combination I will have a Macro solution as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom