Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

does anyone have a name for this little guy?

204e.jpg

This is a flying gurnard :

Dactylopteridae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

Avster, excellent photos, a little clear water and the FIX plus S90 and -04 lens is a great combination, thanks for sharing your photos.

I have ordered the Fisheye UWL-04 lens a week ago, I recieved the Fisheye aluminum threaded mount for it yesterday. I will be doing a pool shoot off between the Inon 165AD, Inon UWL100 plus dome and the Fisheye UWL-04 lenses in the not distant future. I will shoot a target of some sort, the goal is to determine sharpness, flare, DOF abd diagonal FOV, tendency to vignette and overall IQ. May the best lens win!

N

Hi Nemrod,

Since you have shown me the way so far :wink:

I have decided to wait for your test results before I decide on the Wide Angle Lens to get for my fix s90. After seeing Avster's photos, the Fisheye UWL-o4 looks like quite the performer. Without vignetting issues as well.

I was pretty much decided on the Inon UWL165Ad and Fisheye 28AD adapter complimented by a UCL165 close up lens.

Then I saw Avster's photos and am now considering the Fisheye UWL-04/M67 with the Fisheye 67mm adapter complimented by a UCL165 67mm. I just hope changing lenses UW won't be too big a deal since I don't wear gloves anyway.

As far as 67mm vs. Bayonet mount, would you have preference everything else being equal? Reason I ask is I read somewhere (another forum perhaps) that the 67mm threads can be quite fragile relative to the AD mounts which would be more capable of handling UW lens changes and the wear that is expected in the changes. I for one am not even sure I would be changing lenses that often. The thought or idea of it may be better than in actual practice?

Girellator,

I read back a few pages and noted that you also have the UWL-04.

I was wondering what mount you are using with the UWL-04? Is it the 67mm? Do you have a close-up lens you can swap with UW?

Ozzi,

My new UWL-04 has been shipped and is in the terminal in Jacksonville, supposedly to my door this Friday. I do intend to do some tests with it pitted against the Inon 165AD and 100WAL plus dome. I don't know if it will be this coming weekend or not. I have to get permission for the test from the lifeguards. You know, "pool" lifeguards, is that kinda like a "mall" cop? Anyways, after I actually exploded a Tekna scooter in the deep end during a life guard training and masters swim class, well, they sorta have suspicions that I am not normal and I cannot completely disagree with them. However, I have infiltrated the masters swim group with ulterior motives in mind, I am quite devious :wink:.

I will be using the Fisheye 52mm thread-on mount with the UWL-04. The Fisheye 52mm mount is priced at 50 dollars from Backscatter. This is a machined aluminum piece, it threads on to the FIX90 housing port and then the lens threads to it.

As to threading on and off underwater, well, we shall see. I am not impressed with that. That is why I wanted the bayonet system of the Inon AD lenses.

N

Nemrod,

I will definitely wait for the results. I was wondering why you got the 52mm adapter when you already have the 67mm adapter.

I understand the UWL-04 comes with appropriate parts to mount on a 52 or 67mm adapter?

The local UW Photo shop suggests I stay with my original choice of the Inon UFL165AD since it will be more flexible applications wise in future set ups and as such will also retain good re-sale value. Also, it has the bayonet mount.

I just wanted to get the widest lens possible. So I will pray to neptune to have the lifeguards let you back in the pool for your test ; )

I got the 52mm mount because it was available and cheap and because Girrelator I think has one. I will test with both the 52mm mount and the FIX67mm mount. BTW, the FIX mount I am talking about in the 52mm is only 50 dollars and is aluminum.

N

The mount I purchased came from Backscatter, there is no catalog listing. It is different from the other provided mount kits in that it is a single piece instead of three pieces, it is anodized aluminum, it simply threads to the outside of the housing port and the UWL-04 (or any 52mm lens) can thread directly on.

I might assume, knowing nothing, that the mount is priced at only 50 dollars (ish) because it supports their brand lens to their brand housing? In any case, they still make the overpriced three piece mount kits as far as I know.

You guys realize probably that with the less than one year product cycle that the end is near for the FIX S90 and FIX G11 housings I bet, onto the next, greater, worser, lol.

N

I got the 52mm mount because it was available and cheap and because Girrelator I think has one. I will test with both the 52mm mount and the FIX67mm mount. BTW, the FIX mount I am talking about in the 52mm is only 50 dollars and is aluminum.

N
I have the 52 mm adaptater , the very expensive one in three pieces , and I have still slight vignetting with it ..
My husband built me an adaptater , the same kind than Fisheye just released ( a simple ring ) , still a slight vignetting ..
Now I cross my fingers because I just received the fisheye simple adaptater , it seems that the lense could come slightly closer to the port of the housing with that new one , but I can't try it because my housing is not here actually .
I'll get it again on Friday and we are going to dive on Saturday and Sunday .
As soon as possible I'll give you some news and I hope that I'll be finally able to use my UWL-04 at the widest angle of 28 mm :)
I'm wainting also impatiently the conclusions of Nemrod .

As Ryan say it's easy to use a step up ring to attach macro lenses 67 mm on the 52 mm adaptater .
It's not so difficult to manage underwater as well .
Anyway this is a fantastic set , camera , housing , and dome !!:blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom