Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To explain further soft focus above water using a dome lens, the reason the dome is there is to form a "virtual" image just forward of the lens. The lens in the 165AD and I believe the UWL-04 is therefore compensated to focus on that virtual image. When shooting above the water, lol, dry land, the virtual image does not form, the dome is transparent to the lens and the lens does not focus correctly.

In the water, the virtual image will form, the lens should focus sharply. However, you will never get the "sharpness" out of generic wet lenses that you can get from a purpose made, specific to the camera lens such as those for a dSLR etc.

At least with the Inon UFL165AD dome lens assembly the instructions state that the lens is not intended for surface use.

I have noticed that the dome equipped UWL100-67mm lens image does not seem to degrade as badly when used on the surface with the dome installed and of course the instructions state for that lens that the bare lens can be used for dry land photos (though they do not mention the effect of the dome being installed for dry land use).

N

Here is a story, I lost the 165AD lens! Yep, it got knocked off the camera on the platform while it was being handed to me in 3 to 5 footers. I hit my head on the underside of the platform also and when I got my senses back the lens was gone, gone, gone. But, would you believe, that approximately 1.5 days later after we had left Jupiter, I got a call from the guys at the wonderful dive shop there and guess what, yep, they had the lens and it is no worse for the wear!!!!!!!!!

N

Has anyone attached a leash to the UFL-165AD? It seems that you would have to put a hole through one of the hood petals.

Leaving Saturday for cancun.... wish me plenty of luck taking some good pictures. Doubtful I will get any up before the 16th.

Has anyone attached a leash to the UFL-165AD? It seems that you would have to put a hole through one of the hood petals.

Anything through the petals would show in the image. The petals are limiting as it is.

Yeah, I am going to have a leash on mine from now on, you bet after it was lost. I am thinking to wrap it with electrical tape and a piece of cave line through and under the tape on the barrel. Temporary, but of no harm to the lens.

N

Leaving Saturday for cancun.... wish me plenty of luck taking some good pictures. Doubtful I will get any up before the 16th.

Go gett'um tiger.

N

So I bit the bullet and got me the FIX housing before my WP-DC35 even arrived. Now with two housings. I will probably just keep the DC35 for snorkeling or other water activities.

Am now looking at the original lens I wanted which is the INON UFL165Ad Does anyone have this lends mounted on the FIX S90 together with the 28AD Fisheye Adapter? It seems this was the adapter to get with the FIX S90 to mount the INON AD Lenses. I am confused by some articles I have read that the UFL165AD works better if used with the Fishey 67mm mount plus and 10BAR 67mm to AD adapter.

Canon S90 Fix Underwater Housing review|Underwater Photography Guide

I think Nemrod's set up this way. But I think it may be a function of having the 67mm lenses as well as the UFL165AD lens.

I was just thinking of using the UCL165AD and UFL165AD with the Fisheye 28AD adapter but then I saw the article and got confused. I have not yet bought a mount for the FIX S90 and am deciding whether or not to get 67mm mount plus 10BAR AD adapter.

Anyone have any experience with the FIX S90 with the FIX 28AD Adapter and the UFL165AD?

Seems this is the most simple means to set it up with the UFL165AD.

Great Stuff!

Spent the last hour and half reading through the earlier posts on this thread and noticed Compudude has posted photos taken with the exact same set-up I am now considering.

Any further considerations before I complete my set up and buy the FIX 28AD Adapter + Inon UFL165Ad and Inon UCL 165AD would be appreciated. I will be adding this to the s2000 strobe and FIX Housing which I recently purchased.

I have been reading through the various threads on the S90 and options for housings and lenses and have found so much information. Thanks all.

Ozzie, I went with the 67mm converter because I have both AD and 67mm lenses. I also think it is a better AD solution than the 28AD kit. That is not just opinion, my rig does not vignette at 35mm with the UFL165AD and yields close to the full 165 degree FOV. I am not saying it is better for others, but it works better for me with AD lenses.

I have on order a Fisheye UWL-04 so when I get it there will be a shoot out in the pool hopefully with some sort of target, Inon UWL100-67 with dome vs Inon UFL165AD vs Fisheye UWL-04.

N

Thanks Nemrod,

I am getting anxious now that I have the housing but no lenses to go with it. have not yet bought the adapter since I have not made up my mind. Compudude's post ealier in this thread from a few months ago looked promising.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5151169-post273.html

I can't tell though if he was zoomed out to 35mm or if the lens was at 28mm. My local dealer tells me to not bother with the adapter to 67mm since I will be buying the lenses and not trying to fit a lens that I already had in hand.

It seems there are experiences here with good results with either mount which makes my decision on how to mount the UFL165AD to the FIX S90 a little more complicated. It took long enough to decide on the OEM Canon hosing or the FIX S90. Ended up getting both! After ordering the DC35, I still experienced "gear lust" for the FIX S90 and went ahead and bought it yesterday without adapters.

Was wondering if you had problems with the Inon UFL165Ad that you decided to buy the UWL-o4 ? You seemed so perfectly happy with your set-up.

Hello everybody

Now I've some more pics to show , here is a slide show on Flickr .
Some are macro , other wide angle .
The first one is a very tiny shell ( in France we call it a porcelain ) no more than one cm long probably less , and I'm glad to have been be able to take it with the S90 , great camera !!
Of course the picture has been cropped but no more than about 30% .
The wide angle of course have been taken with the UWL- 04 , zoomed between 28 and 35 mm ( yes it's possible ..) to avoid vignetting .
And the octopus ( who wanted to thieve my Inon flash , it's why he has a spread tentacle on one pic ) was taken with the camera whitout any lense at 28 mm , and are not cropped .
Here it is :

Canon S90

:blinking:

Back
Top Bottom