Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backscatter gave me a quote: Fisheye FIX Canon S90 Housing M52 - 52mm
Adapter (new) 1 at $48.00 = $48.00 for UWL-04. They also recommend

Fisheye Easy Close-up lens 2 for 52mm threads: 1 at $199.00 = $199.00. These are the flip lenses shown on Fisheye's jp website.

The reason provided: "The Fisheye Close-up Lens screws onto the adapter and has the ability to flip up and out of the way of the camera. This gives you the benefit of doing macro at 1x (just the camera), 2x (1 lens flipped down), and 4x magnification (both lenses flipped down).
The benefit of the Fisheye lens is that you can flip the macro lens out of the way while leaving it on the housing. I have used this with the FIX G10 housing. It was very nice to be able to move the macro lens to get a wider shot w/o removing the lens."

Has anybody have any experience with these Easy Close-up lens 2 for FIX S90 or Easy Close-up lens 3 for FIX S90 (FIX S90 ) ? How would they compare to Inon UCL-165?

Thanks

I briefly considered the Fix macro lenses.

Then I realized that, while it's easy to switch from macro to regular, it's nearly impossible to switch from macro to wide angle.

The ability to switch from macro to wide angle is the whole reason I invested in the Fix housing instead of saving a bunch of money with the OEM or Ikelite housings.

I briefly considered the Fix macro lenses.

Then I realized that, while it's easy to switch from macro to regular, it's nearly impossible to switch from macro to wide angle.

I have exactly the same goal. I did not realize it was difficult to go from macro to wide angle with these things. I assumed one could flip the lenses out of the way and mount the wide lens. I too was considering this route, on the advice of Reef.

You may have just saved me some bucks and aggravation. Could you explain this issue to me?

I might add that if it weren't for my desire to have this dual ability on each dive, I would be all over one of the micro 4/3 options out there.

I agree with you guys. I also want to exchange lenses quickly and easily underwater. But if you do not have a good and standard bayonet (AD or ST) and only have 52mm screw on adapter, isn't equally difficult to switch from say ucl 165 to uwl 04? That's why UFL-165 AD and UCL-165 AD look so attractive, but they have other problems (vignetting).

Last edited:
That's why UFL-165 AD and UCL-165 AD look so attractive, but they have other problems (vignetting).

Nope, no vignetting here, Inon 165AD fisheye lens, no crop, no vignetting, shooting distance, just a few feet:

IMG_0643_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0762_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0754_edited-1-1.jpg

IMG_0755_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0666_edited-1.jpg

Canon S90, FIX90 housing, 2XD2000 Inon strobes, Inon 165AD fisheye lens, zoom set to 35mm.

N

Nope, no vignetting here, Inon 165AD fisheye lens, no crop, no vignetting, shooting distance, just a few feet:

IMG_0643_edited-1.jpg

Canon S90, FIX90 housing, 2XD2000 Inon strobes, Inon 165AD fisheye lens, zoom set to 35mm.

N

Nice Shark!

Why did you zoom to 35mm?

Nice Shark!

Why did you zoom to 35mm?

The shark is about 7-8 feet long give or take.

:confused: The Inon 165AD and 100WAL(dome) lenses I shoot require a 35mm effective focal length, therefore I zoom the camera from 28mm to 35mm so that they can optically mate without vignetting. I know this confuses people including some of the shops, it is a non issue with the S90 and FIX90 housing. The auxiliary lenses do not know the camera is zoomed and as long as they can be positioned at the proper distance from the camera lens (when zoomed to 35mm or whatever) then they are completely functional as intended as all of the photos I have posted demonstrate clearly.

N

I am back from my last dive trip in Palau where I could try my new toy:

Canon S90 +FIX housing
Flash Inon 2 x s2000
Wide Fix uwl-04
Macro inon 2x ucl-165
Focus light 1 10 bar

Was my first time with 2 flash and was not at all easy,
anyway I'd like to post some shots, but I'm not allowed to post URLs
after i made 5 posts or more ...

Back
Top Bottom