Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N, I really like you color processing...I need to go back and rework mine from last week.

N, I really like you color processing...I need to go back and rework mine from last week.

I hate to tell you but my woeful lack of photography skills is only eclipsed by my woeful lack of Photoshop skills.:eyebrow:

You know, I have been told or read from several of the large photo supply stores that the Inon lenses will not work with the FIX90 housing even though FIX supplies adapters. I don't mean this in any hateful or derogatory way but as you can see, this belief, based on having to zoom to 35mm to eliminate vignetting, is incorrect. The lenses are designed to operate at a 35mm focal length and as long as they can be correctly positioned the lenses are as happy as clams and fully functional. Is the Fisheye UWL-04 better, I don't know, prove it is all I can say. :idk:

A turtle swims by, Inon 165AD, he was within a foot of the dome, no crop and of course zoomed to 35mm:

IMG_0653_edited-1.jpg

Another turtle, Inon 100WAL plus dome, no crop, zoomed to 35mm, he was about six feet away if I recall:

IMG_0999_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
I hate to tell you but my woeful lack of photography skills is only eclipsed by my woeful lack of Photoshop skills.:eyebrow:

You know, I have been told or read from several of the large photo supply stores that the Inon lenses will not work with the FIX90 housing even though FIX supplies adapters. I don't mean this in any hateful or derogatory way but as you can see, this belief, based on having to zoom to 35mm to eliminate vignetting, is incorrect. The lenses are designed to operate at a 35mm focal length and as long as they can be correctly positioned the lenses are as happy as clams and fully functional. Is the Fisheye UWL-04 better, I don't know, prove it is all I can say. :idk:

N

Nemrod, thanks for the images.

I should have the adapter for my fix lens for this weekend and will see if I can do some comparison shots off Destin. Seas should be calm.

Will see if I can take both the wide angle and the UWL-04 on the same dive and see what I get (I still expect the Ike lens to be sharper).

After years of diving with an old IXUS in just it's Canon case, I took the leap today and bought my upgrade:

Canon S90
FIX S90 housing
FIX UWL-04 with 52mm adapter
Inon S2000 with optic cable
2x Inon LE 550 (w)
Inon D4 Grip and float arm

My timing was just right, as I placed my order the same day UWdigitalcamera received the 52mm adapters. Yuzo was extremely helpful and patient with me (almost 30 emails back and forth making recommendations and changes to the order!).

I'm really looking forward trying out my new rig, but I'm not sure if it will arrive in time for my trip next weekend...
Well at least it's a good excuse to go diving more!

Thanks for the good news, browncd81

Do you know the exact name/make/part # of the new adapter?

Thanks

Unfortunately no because my invoice is at home and I'm day 2 of a 4 month trip. I tried it on though and its a nice fit. I believe the $189 adapter is also three pieces, but this thing is only one piece. Much better solution than the $189 adapter. Call the guys at Backscatter West, they're the ones who sent it to me.

N:

Those shots are with your DIY adapter, right? I am wondering how much more you would have needed to crop or zoom with an off-the-shelf adapter.

N:

Those shots are with your DIY adapter, right? I am wondering how much more you would have needed to crop or zoom with an off-the-shelf adapter.

The shots that were taken with the 165AD were with my DIY adapter. Obviously those taken with the 100WAL plus dome were the FIX 67mm kit only. None of the photos are cropped.

Now, how much would I have to crop with the 10Bar adapter, ummmmm, well, about 95% to 98% and occasionally none would be my guess from my pool experiments. This is very minimal and given the very wide angle these lenses provide should be acceptable IMO. BTW, the WAL100-28AD plus dome requires a 98% crop due to built in corner vignetting per Inon irregardless of the camera etc. JFYI.

I have ordered the "new" 52mm adapter kit for the UWL-04 Fisheye lens and as soon as I can find another 400 dollars floating around I intend to order one and put all of these wide angle lenses head to head in a shoot out. I can do it sooner in a pool if somebody wants to loan me a lens--lol--wink. In any case this is what I expect, little to no difference in either FOV or image quality between the Inon 165AD (lightest and most compact), Inon WAL100 plus dome (heavy and expensive and high quality with all glass optics) and Fisheye UWL-04 (from what I have seen, relatively large but not as heavy as the glass dome fitted 100WAL, a nice lens and may not require zooming).

165AD:

IMG_0635_edited-1.jpg

100WAL:

IMG_1115_edited-1.jpg

165AD:

IMG_0774_edited-1.jpg

All photos uncropped, shot with 2XD2000 Inon strobes and Canon S90 with FIX90 housing.

For comparison, two different turtles, same dive, each shot from approximately four feet, first with native 28mm through flat port:

IMG_0664_edited-1.jpg

And now with the 165AD installed:

IMG_0764_edited-1.jpg

N

I'll be in Hawaii in less than a week and I'll post some UWL-04 shots.

Well, I need to make a decision soon, so somebody needs to get this sorted out!!! :wink:

I have pretty much decided on the S90 and Fix housing, but would really like to have a bayonet mount close-up and bayonet mount wide angle that I can easily switch them out during dives, so I would love to hear that there is a good solution involving the Inon AD mount so I could use it for both the UFL 165AD and the UCL 165AD.

Probably not going to happen, so I am trying to sort out my next best option. I may just give in and get the UWL 04 but sure would like to have a bayonet mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom