Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not in a position to agree or disagree. I don't know...just looking for information, sharing what I hear, and trying to make the best decision....:D

If nothing else maybe I should get the less expensive option...the UWL 04 and if it later turns out I can "upgrade" to Inon AD or 28AD mount lenses I could do so.

Starting fresh as you are, just get the Fisheye -04 lens. Then of course you will have to fanagle a macro option. The advantage to my route among others is that the AD lenses bayonet on and off.

And as to the agreeing and disagreeing, I didn't mean you, lol. :blinking:

N

Would the FIX 67mm adapter with AD converter work with the Inon AD macro lenses?

wow yeah the pictures really don't give it justice as to how tight of a fit the camera is into the housing!! Just ran a dry test without the strobe on (power wise). Pretty hefty, seems like most of the weight is in the strobe minus batteries. Hopefully I will be able to be more stabilized in the water with it.

With the INON AD28 mount on my Canon WP-DC35 housing I get a LOT of vignetting with the INON UWL-105AD - have to zoom to nearly 50mm equvalent to eliminate it. I also have an INON Fuji F30 AD mount that I modified to work on the WP-DC35 housing and I can get the 105 AD lens to work at 35mm. Not nearly as ssecure, and no place to mount fiberoptic strobe synch cable beacuse the port is so wide the little diffuser/synch mount can't fit. So the thickness of the aluminum AD28 mount plate that makes it VERY secure also pushes the lens farther away so it doesn't work as well. I will try my friends UFL-165AD in the Philippines in two weeks and report, but I may just have to buy a UWL-10028 if I want to shoot wide with the OEM Canon housing and the INON adaptor, or unscrew the AD28 mount from the plate and screw on a threaded ring to direct mount a FIX 04 lens (52mm? 55mm? 48mm?)

LOL, yeah, and on that we will just have to agree to disagree. I will be ordering a UWL-04 and I have the adapter on back order. Then we will find out for real because I will shoot them back to back. As I have said before, my belief is there will be very little difference.

BTW, the OEM housing Inon mount is for 28AD, not AD and Inon clearly states it will only support the 28AD mount wide angle lenses and will of course support the AD macro lenses. The truth is??

Well, I very much look forward to that as I have the AD macro lenses and would like to get the 28AD mount for the canon housing for my s90 and know which wide angle lense to go with. I've always liked the bayonet mount of my old nikon film camera so thought that was the best quick mount method.

Would the FIX 67mm adapter with AD converter work with the Inon AD macro lenses?

Of course it does. But, I am not a big macro guy, though I do like to shoot some with just the native port.

The current configuration I am shooting. I don't need a focus light because I don't much do the macro and the Inon D2000 strobes have powerful lights already in them. The S2000 strobes are certainly attractive but I think I will stay with my D2000 strobes, thank you. My wayward, lost and then found, Inon 165AD fisheye lens, my favorite lens, UWL-04 be dammed.

P4170294.jpg

Did my watch cost more than a digi SLR, probably, lol.

The rig is definitely a bit negative but no worse than other similar cameras I have had in the past, my old Nikonos III with dual strobes and add on lens was similar in feel and balance. With the Inon 165AD fisheye lens it is about perfect, with the Inon 100WAL plus dome it is a bit on the heavy side. However, the S90 balances nicely IMO and is certainly not tiring to hold. I kind of like a little heft underwater, the camera is more steady I feel. I have a three foot coiled tether with a clip for securing to a D ring. The DIY tray is shown with two handles but I shoot it also with just one.

The dual Inon D2000 strobes are amazing and sync solid, shot after shot with the optical cables. I love them more each time I use them. Set on continuous mode the S90 and D2000 strobes can fire shot after shot in rapid order. I have been experimenting with some good success with fixing the focus in manual focus mode with the Inon 165AD since it has DOF from dome to infinity so as to eliminate auto focus lag. Using this method there is no lag, the camera shoots fast and in the continuous mode can shoot several shots bam, bam, bam and the D2000 strobes are able to keep up.

N

Last edited:
Does the s90 receive much ghosting in the fix housing to where the anti-ghost sticker is needed?

Last edited:
I have not yet noticed any ghosting and I am not using the anti ghost sticker. On my Canon A570 there is definitely ghosting but the lens there has a silver beauty ring, the S90 is black. The white lettering could potentially show but has not yet. If it does I might just use a black marker pen and "paint" over the writing.

N

Nemrod,

Thanks for your research and development ... I knew nothing beyond the S90 FIX case prior to finding this thread.

Now, this may seem like overkill for snorkeling, but I am about to order this case, the adapters and that awesome UFL-165AD lens.

How well do you think this setup will perform, without strobes, when snorkeling in Hawaii?

With the available sunlight at snorkeling depths, I'm hoping not to need a flash/strobe when using the 165 lens.

For any close-ups without the 165, the use of the native S90 flash with the FIX diffuser should work well, yes? (unless the lens adapter rings will interfere and throw shadows ... :idk:)

Thanks in advance for your reply

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom