Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW several S90 users have reported better corner sharpness shooting at about 2.5 rather than wide open 2.0, so the sacrifice in lens speed may be worth it even when not forced to zoom in a bit (not sure off the top of my head what aperture the camera can go to zoomed in 1 step though?)

FWIW several S90 users have reported better corner sharpness shooting at about 2.5 rather than wide open 2.0, so the sacrifice in lens speed may be worth it even when not forced to zoom in a bit (not sure off the top of my head what aperture the camera can go to zoomed in 1 step though?)

The camera's zoom goes from 28mm to 105mm with stops at 35, 50 and 85. The aperture starts at f2 and then does every third stop (2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.3, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0,5.6, etc).

When the camera's zoom is set to 35mm, the largest aperture is f2.5.

The camera's zoom goes from 28mm to 105mm with stops at 35, 50 and 85. The aperture starts at f2 and then does every third stop (2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.3, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0,5.6, etc).

When the camera's zoom is set to 35mm, the largest aperture is f2.5.

Yes, and of course the G11/10 do something similar as do most P&S cameras.

This aspect has some implications for wide angle also, for example, from the FIX page it appears that the only lens example that allows f2.0 operation at full wide (28mm) is the Inon 100-28AD (with or without dome) and PWC-01 but I am not familiar with this lens. The Inon 100WAL Type II and Fisheye UWL-04 require a notch of zoom to 35mm to eliminate vignetting. If you need the last little bit of lens speed the 100-28AD is the winner, maybe.

Notice also on the FIX page that the apparent magnification appears the same between the Inon 100-28AD at full wide and the Inon 100WAL-Type II at 35mm in the sample photos.

N

Anyone have any thoughts on the frame around the viewfinder? I don't know what it's for and it seems to obstruct the screen when looking at from an above angle (holding the rig lower than eye level). I'm thinking of removing the top one, but I'm not sure what unscrewing it will do to the integrity of the housing. Any thoughts or opinions?

I would guess it's for attaching an optional lens hood but I don't know for certain. I'd check with Ryan before disassembling anything.

Anyone have any thoughts on the frame around the viewfinder? I don't know what it's for and it seems to obstruct the screen when looking at from an above angle (holding the rig lower than eye level). I'm thinking of removing the top one, but I'm not sure what unscrewing it will do to the integrity of the housing. Any thoughts or opinions?

I believe those rails are threaded into the window only and not through to the frame. However, I have not verified this as I am working on another minor project at the moment. If so, you can remove them.

Ikelite tray to FIX90 housing adapter:

DSCF0002-1.jpg

The side arm I intend to carry strobe number two or other accessories like my Sekonic if I don't put it on the shoe.

N

Last edited:
Hello !!
I bought my Fix housing yesterday to Paris for the annual dive show .
It's really a great housing .
Thank everybody as you pointed several thing to check before the purchase , so you were very helpful .:wink:
I will try to do the same .

Orders are being taken by both Reef and Backscatter for the lens adapters. Backscatter has up photos of the AD, ST, 67mm units with a variety of lenses including the Fisheye lens and it looks GOOD to me.

One photo shows the Inon 100-28AD with dome on the camera and it looks like an excellent match and fit, I am very satisfied with what I see. Looks like it is time to place an order with your favorite underwater camera store.

Mine is on order.

N

Orders are being taken by both Reef and Backscatter for the lens adapters. Backscatter has up photos of the AD, ST, 67mm units with a variety of lenses including the Fisheye lens and it looks GOOD to me.

One photo shows the Inon 100-28AD with dome on the camera and it looks like an excellent match and fit, I am very satisfied with what I see. Looks like it is time to place an order with your favorite underwater camera store.

Mine is on order.

N

Mine just arrived. (I get one day shipping from Backscatter due to proximity.) Now then, if the weather would just settle down, I can get out to Monterey and do some real testing with it. Otherwise, I will have to wait three weeks for the Channel Island trip.

The 28AD ring comes in three pieces. There is a retaining ring with a screw to tighten the retaining ring. That slides on first. Then the second ring screws onto the the housing. This one has a flange that sticks out. The retaining ring then slides up onto the second ring and is tightened down to hold the ring in place. Lastly, the bayonet mount slides onto the flange. The instructions are in Japanese.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived. (I get one day shipping from Backscatter due to proximity.) Now then, if the weather would just settle down, I can get out to Monterey and do some real testing with it. Otherwise, I will have to wait three weeks for the Channel Island trip.

The 28AD ring comes in three pieces. There is a retaining ring with a screw to tighten the retaining ring. That slides on first. Then the second ring screws onto the the housing. This one has a flange that sticks out. The retaining ring then slides up onto the second ring and is tightened down to hold the ring in place. Lastly, the bayonet mount slides onto the flange. The instructions are in Japanese.

Got pix?

I just spoke to Richard, at Reef. He says they don't have any of the final revision 28 AD adapters in yet, just the preproduction test version. And apparently Ryan just left on a 2 week vacation. :depressed:

On the bright side, Backscatter has some GREAT (and detailed, and fairly large) photos of the Fix housing up on their site, including shots of the various lens adapters, installed, and even in use on the camera. I don't see the test shots someone referred to somewhere (or did I misread that?) but there are lots of detailed shots of the parts, at least.

Housing

28 AD Adapter

67mm adapter

Others, too, just dig around a bit, but I thought these would be of the most interest. :)

Back
Top Bottom