Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Transparency film for a washer, eh? I like it. I may have to steal that idea! :)

It looks like on your tray, the issue was the extension goes UP instead of dropping down (since it's flipped). Is that correct? Minor issue, since a sliver of a spacer apparently fixed it, but just to be clear, that's what the issue was, right?

That's a huge rig for such a tiny camera! LOL

The extension was never an issue. Instead, I was pleased to note that the housing's bottom corner is cut in under the door lock to the right height for the ULCS extension.

No, the issue was that the bottom edge of the housing's door would scrape across the main part of the tray when it opened or closed. The door and the housing body were milled exactly the same size. So, when the housing was screwed onto the tray, the door was pressed up against the tray as well.

Yes, it is a big rig for such a tiny camera. I started with Olympus UFL-1 and needed two of them to get any coverage at all. I went with ULCS arms so I could upgrade to a dSLR housing later. Well, the S90/FIX came by and I could not resist it. So, I decided to postpone my dSLR housing a bit longer. This camera is very impressive for wide angle work. I am not so happy with its macro yet. I need to get a macro wet lens for it, but have to wait for others to figure out what WA/macro lenses work best. Hopefully the answer comes soon as I have a nudibranch trip to the Channel Islands in a month.

hi,i haven't had them in the water yet just got the optical cable today,the lip is the problem that dhuskins was having but if you don't want to go grinding anything away just turn it upside down,the screws are the ones from the same chap and there are a lot of slots on the tray so you can realy have the housing wherever you want i just think that being close to the right hand side let you operate the shutter more easily.measuring the hole is qiute easy with the extra extension you get just line it up ,mark it and then drill.

thanks boyd

Well, the S90/FIX came by and I could not resist it. So, I decided to postpone my dSLR housing a bit longer.

Exactly same here, I was just about to purchase a T1i and a housing, RDX500, but, then the S90 and FIX came along and I simply could not resist or live another minute without ordering it. :D Sorry RDX, your plastic body and bulkiness skeert me away.

I really don't want a dSLR anyways and I think the new EP1/GH1 and unknown possibilities from Canon and Nikon of the same ilk are what I want with a zoom Tokina or similar lens. It is only a matter of time until Oly has a fisheye lens, Panasonic has one already and of course the mounts are compatible. Bigger than the S90 but still smaller than the bulky full size jobs.

N

What I really wanted was a micro fourthirds camera, but I did not like the current collection of them. Someday someone will make on that will work well underwater. sigh.

@boyd

The lip was not the issue. If you look at my pictures, you will see I have the lip of the tray pointing away from the housing. The issue was that the door of the housing was milled to the same depth as the body of the housing. That means that when the body is screwed onto the tray to the point where it would touch, then the door of the housing would touch as well.

By putting a thin washer (in my case two layers of thin plastic) between the housing and the tray, the housing no longer touches the tray. As a result, the door no longer touches the tray either. No more scrapping. You can see the plastic spacers in my photos of the bottom of the camera.

In order to space your camera up another alternative I have used are nylon washers/spacers available at hardware stores in a variety of sizes. N

I am going to try and keep mine a little bit, lol, more compact than that, I think :0. When I use two strobes I only have a single arm so when they are parked the strobes are down, not up. Wider is better but it defeats my miniaturization fetish.

Compudude, your custom adapter will come with some knobs. I cut the two pieces of metal, it is just a little piece of bar, but it is to cold to work because the heater in my shop is temporarily non functional. I didn't think you had a housing yet? It ain't fancy but it should work, if you want to use your Ikelite tray.

N

Sounds great! I'll be starting off with my existing Ikelite tray, but probably will eventually move to ULCS (or a clone) so I can get a little smaller. Who knows, though, once it's all hooked up with a focus light on top, I may end up sticking with the Ike tray after all. Although once I get around to getting a second strobe, I'll need a new tray anyway, so my options will be wide option.

I don't have the housing yet. I spoke to Ryan late last week, and he said the adapters are coming in next (now this) week, so no point in sending separate shipments so close together. He set aside a housing for me with my name on it, however (since they're selling fast), and I'll pay and get everything shipped at once as soon as we've figured out the final details on how things will all mesh together.

So I DO have a housing with my name on it, but it's sitting on a shelf at Reef at the moment. :D

. . . Who knows, though, once it's all hooked up with a focus light on top. . .

CompuDude, When considering a focus light, I recommend finding one that attaches to your arms and not the shoe atop the FIX housing. I had my focus light mounted on the shoe on my trip a week ago and fought with it the whole time. The ULCS hot shoe adapter partially covers the power and ring function buttons. I switched back to having it attached to the top of my handle so the buttons were free and clear.

CompuDude, When considering a focus light, I recommend finding one that attaches to your arms and not the shoe atop the FIX housing. I had my focus light mounted on the shoe on my trip a week ago and fought with it the whole time. The ULCS hot shoe adapter partially covers the power and ring function buttons. I switched back to having it attached to the top of my handle so the buttons were free and clear.

Gack, that's horrible. That's one thing I was seriously looking forward to... getting rid of the damn triple clamp I'm using now.

Could I impose upon you to take a photo of the hot shoe adapter in place, so I can see the manner in which it impairs access to the buttons?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom