Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The vignetting in the un-zoomed pic with the UFL-165AD is very odd - where does the rectangular framing come from? Playing with my S-90 and Canon housing with a modified Inon AD mount and UWL-105 AD just reveals vignetting at the corners as expected, but round vignetting, not rectangular. Looking a the pics from the FIX web site reveals that the Inon UFL-165AD appears to provide only a marginally wider view than the UWL-105AD I have, and considerably less than the FOV with the FIX UWL-04 M52/67, which is curiously better than the FIX UWL-04 ST. Too much confusion - I was thinking of purchasing a UFL-165AD to use on both my old Sony outfit (AD) and with the S-90, but it looks like I would be better off with the FIX UWL-04 and a thread-to-AD adaptor. I thought the FIX UWL-04 and Inon UFL-165AD had similar rated FOV. I guess not, at least with this housing and adaptors.

The vignetting in the un-zoomed pic with the UFL-165AD is very odd - where does the rectangular framing come from? Playing with my S-90 and Canon housing with a modified Inon AD mount and UWL-105 AD just reveals vignetting at the corners as expected, but round vignetting, not rectangular. Looking a the pics from the FIX web site reveals that the Inon UFL-165AD appears to provide only a marginally wider view than the UWL-105AD I have, and considerably less than the FOV with the FIX UWL-04 M52/67, which is curiously better than the FIX UWL-04 ST. Too much confusion - I was thinking of purchasing a UFL-165AD to use on both my old Sony outfit (AD) and with the S-90, but it looks like I would be better off with the FIX UWL-04 and a thread-to-AD adapter. I thought the FIX UWL-04 and Inon UFL-165AD had similar rated FOV. I guess not, at least with this housing and adaptors.

If you look closely you will see that the actual FOV in the vignetted image with the 165AD is nearly the same as the FIX lens. The rectangular vignetting results from the lens being to far forward, try it. The "rectangles" are the four hood wings.

The adapter being offered currently is the 28AD, not AD. The 165AD-FE lens is not compatible with the 28AD mounts, never has been. To get optimum performance from this lens it must be mounted close, FIX will either have to make an AD adapter or some people will make DIY solutions such as mine. The FIX 28AD adapter obviously works OK and increases the FOV significantly over without but it is not optimal.

Obviously if you are going to buy a new lens, either the 100WAL or 100-28AD (both with domes) or the FIX lens is the way to go unless FIX et al offer an AD adapter. I am pretty sure the 100-28AD with dome will compare favorably in FOV with the FIX lens and the 100WAL Type II will be nearly as wide also when equipped with the dome. I am also just about certain the Inon 165AD will work very well with my adapter.

The Inon 100 series lenses with optical glass dome are known to produce good images and are not prone to flare, even if they give up some FOV to the FIX lens they are still good choices at between 130 degrees and 150 degrees FOV.

As to compatibility to the Canon housing, the Canon housing appears to place the port glass further forward from the camera lens--not good. I don't think either the 105AD or 165AD will work on that housing without severe vignetting.

N

I have the 28AD adapter and have installed it. The middle piece (with the flange) screws on nicely. Do not over tighten or the screw will jump the threads. The first piece (according to my earlier description) clamps onto the middle piece and holds it from moving. It is a good, secure, connection when both of them are installed.

So, I guess we are all seeking reassurance--you are saying that it is a sturdy mount even fitted with the heavy lenses?

If you have an opportunity to shoot a few pics off it with lens mounted and through it I am sure we would all be sitting here eating popcorn and drinking coffee in anticipation.

I assume the flanged part is nylon?

As soon as I get the 67mm adapter I am going in the pool even if the Y has a fit like they usually do.

Thanks for your reports as always.

N

Wide angle pics are going to have to wait a bit. I am still waiting on the wide angle lens to arrive. I do have the macro lens and am less than happy with it. I went with a pair of UCL-165AD. With two of them, there is some SERIOUS vignetting. I will shoot a few pics tonight to at each focal distance and both with one and two UCL-165AD's. Expect uploads late tomorrow.

Wide angle pics are going to have to wait a bit. I am still waiting on the wide angle lens to arrive. I do have the macro lens and am less than happy with it. I went with a pair of UCL-165AD. With two of them, there is some SERIOUS vignetting. I will shoot a few pics tonight to at each focal distance and both with one and two UCL-165AD's. Expect uploads late tomorrow.

With 2 UCL-165 ADs, stacked, there is always vignetting unless you zoom in a few stops. This is normal with these lenses. It's not a problem to zoom in because you want the subject to fill the frame as much as possible anyway, else you wouldn't need the add-on lenses.

I only have one of those. Hmmm, if it does not suit you maybe send it back while you can and get either the threaded versions or the FIX flip type. :(

I don't know much about macro at all so don't know what is normal in that regard. I hope you can get it working to your satisfaction.

N

Ok - so I've been lurking around this post for a while and have convinced myself to go with the FIXs90 housing. I am, however, still debating the lens mount type.
My old setup was an SD950 in an Ike case. I have 2 Inon UCL-330s with 67mm threads and a UWL-105AD for which I built my own mount.
I'm planning on selling off the UWL-105AD which will leave me with the 2 67mm macro lenses. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pickup the Fisheye UWL-04 but could still go either way on 67mm or the ST mount.
Reef sells a 67mm to ST mount adaptor but for the additional $59 I'm hedging. I know that is only 1/2% of the cost of the setup but I'd appreciate your thoughts....
Also - its easier to find lens caddies for 67mm - does anyone know of a lens caddy for the ST mount?

Well, my Fix housing is finally en route. Hopefully I'll get it in time to with it dive on Saturday.

Got the box, Nem, thanks! Can't wait to put it all together!

If all goes well, I should have some test shots (bare housing and with stacked macro lenses... both with D2000 strobe of course) available next week!

Well, my Fix housing is finally en route. Hopefully I'll get it in time to with it dive on Saturday.

Got the box, Nem, thanks! Can't wait to put it all together!

If all goes well, I should have some test shots (bare housing and with stacked macro lenses... both with D2000 strobe of course) available next week!

If you dive that thing this weekend I will be so mad :D.

You will be required to post many pictures, I know where to find you now. :eyebrow:..
N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom