Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive that thing this weekend I will be so mad :D.

You will be required to post many pictures, I know where to find you now. :eyebrow:..
N

Well, I'm scheduled for a boat to Catalina on Saturday. If the housing makes it to me by Friday and it assembles without incident, and conditions permit, I'll hopefully get at least some shots I can put up. Conditions have been LOUSY for two weeks (and I was busy for a week prior!), so I'm dying to get wet.

One question: The UPG review avster linked above mentions the Inon fiber port, and also mentions an "available" flash blocking panel. I got the impression from Richard (at Reef) that the panel comes with the housing, although I know it's available separately. Is the separate one just a replacement panel, or does it NOT actually come with the housing, and is a required purchase if you want to use a strobe and not the internal flash?

Wow, that was an awkwardly-phrased sentence. But hopefully it gets my point across, since I don't feel like re-writing it now. LOL

Well, I'm scheduled for a boat to Catalina on Saturday. If the housing makes it to me by Friday and it assembles without incident, and conditions permit, I'll hopefully get at least some shots I can put up. Conditions have been LOUSY for two weeks (and I was busy for a week prior!), so I'm dying to get wet.

One question: The UPG review avster linked above mentions the Inon fiber port, and also mentions an "available" flash blocking panel. I got the impression from Richard (at Reef) that the panel comes with the housing, although I know it's available separately. Is the separate one just a replacement panel, or does it NOT actually come with the housing, and is a required purchase if you want to use a strobe and not the internal flash?

Wow, that was an awkwardly-phrased sentence. But hopefully it gets my point across, since I don't feel like re-writing it now. LOL

The housing comes with the screw in fiber optic plug. But, no, it does not come with the optional blocking plate. I imagine a lot of people will cover that with electrical tape, lol or perhaps make their own but I did order one of those.

The screw in fiber optic plug blocks most of the flash port. No, I think you can go without so no excuse there but you may have to order one eventually.

N

If you dive that thing this weekend I will be so mad :D.

You will be required to post many pictures, I know where to find you now. :eyebrow:..
N

You'll have to be double mad - because if he dives it, I'll be sure to borrow it underwater and try it out also that day!

You'll have to be double mad - because if he dives it, I'll be sure to borrow it underwater and try it out also that day!

Absolutely. Any time you want to trade your D300 for my S90, just say the word! :mooner:

The housing comes with the screw in fiber optic plug. But, no, it does not come with the optional blocking plate. I imagine a lot of people will cover that with electrical tape, lol or perhaps make their own but I did order one of those.

The screw in fiber optic plug blocks most of the flash port. No, I think you can go without so no excuse there but you may have to order one eventually.

N

There is a hole in the flash area large enough to put one fiber optic cable. Or, since it is threaded, you can screw in the included nut that allows you to plug in two cables (of both sizes, so you COULD have four strobes...)

The flash mask is a piece of black plastic that has a similar hole in it to allow the screw to go through it. It has a slight lip on it to wrap around the housing. It is not included with the housing. Yes, you could use electrical tape on this housing without any issue or you can spend $30 for the mask. I went with the mask so I didn't have to think about the condition of the tape ever again.

My earlier pictures of my rig have the mask installed.

Nuts. Sounds like I'll have to add an order for that, at some point. I guess I can live without it for this weekend, however.

FWIW, Fisheye FINALLY has an English Language page up for the S90 housing:

FIX S90

Interestingly, though, only the Japanese page includes the link to the sample wide angle test shots.

Also, I came across a couple of potentially interesting adapters, that MIGHT be handy with the Fix housing and certain AD-based lenses.

F.I.T. 55mm thread adapter for INON AD mount lens

F.I.T. 67mm thread adapter for INON AD mount lens

The broken English makes it a little hard to figure out exactly what this does, though, so it may not be helpful after all.

Last edited:
FWIW, Fisheye FINALLY has an English Language page up for the S90 housing:

FIX S90

Interestingly, though, only the Japanese page includes the link to the sample wide angle test shots.

Also, I came across a couple of potentially interesting adapters, that MIGHT be handy with the Fix housing and certain AD-based lenses.

F.I.T. 55mm thread adapter for INON AD mount lens

F.I.T. 67mm thread adapter for INON AD mount lens

The broken English makes it a little hard to figure out exactly what this does, though, so it may not be helpful after all.

I think those are clever, I believe they are not really adapters but instead a threaded mount plate that replaces the bayonet section. To bad it seems none of this is available here.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom