Fish Identity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings,

Yesterday, I saw the oddest looking fish off Venice Beach. It was brown to black, about 8" to 10" long, had two, skinny legs that it used to "walk" on the bottom, and finally, wing like structures towards it's tail. At first I thought it was a flying fish (due to wing like structures) but I looked at pictures online, and it looks much different. In case I run into another one, It would be nice to know what it was.

Maybe sea robin.

Is there a nuclear plant nearby?

it sounds to me a lot like a gurnard - google red gurnard and see what that looks like (apart from of course it being red) I thin that will get you in the right family, from there you just need to find the species that is black

Frogfish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm believe Sea Robin/Gurnard. I can rule out batfish and nuclear plant in the area for sure. I thought it was a lizard fish, until it walked away and extended its wings. Very odd... Thanks to everybody who replied.

And we have ruled out LSD?

I know it's not what you saw- but I pretty much-so did the happy dance the first time I saw one of these:

d3f4.jpg

It's a "Sea Moth" (Africa/Indo/SoPac)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom