firstdive2005, You OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody heard from Kevin? We were supposed to get together for some shore diving last week. No answer to my PM's and no posts on Scubaboard since 2/26.
Kevin - hope you're OK

I hadn't thought about it but you're right. He hasn't posted anything lately & if I remember correctly about the time he last posted his wife was just about due to join him.
Kevin, where are you? And is everything OK?

I just saw this on an Invasion thread....
P.S. I had an opportunity to do a few dives with FIRSTDIVE2005. We had a blast. However he has been afflicted by a stomach bug and is as I write this in the hospital there in San Miguel. Send him some well wishes for a swift recovery.
He has close friends there so I'm sure he is getting the best care. Wishing him the best...!!

I had one last week, didn't do or eat anything for days. If I had been there, I would have gone to hospital. Here, I just stayed home...

Hola!! Thank-you for the concerns, it's very nice cuz how I wuz wuz no fun... through the eye of the needle as they say.
And Kevin Howard it was a blast hitting the killing fields with ya!! by the way that's the area off the plaza more or less. A gazillion of them in the debris/garbage field. We had fun there for sure.
So I ate something off the Park Royal site and caught a bug for the first time ever so I suppose I was due. After my dive Monday at the cenote Dream gate and on my way home I started feeling lethargic and sore. I was thinking I was getting a hit but my self neuro tests where fine but I still was considering a visit to the chamber. But my joints where not bothering me just muscular ache. I also gave that to all the gear lugging we did to do the cenote. When I got home I showered and felt a bit hungry, my wife and I ate. No problem except my lower stomach area was now starting to give me grief like a knife stabbing me. But only small jabs so I just curled up in the fetal position on my bed like an idiot all night and trotting to the can every half hour to blast through the needle. At 7am I had a shower and got in my ferrari and headed to the wrong hospital. A private one on calle 6. Medico San Miguel. They did help me but the charges are huge. $4500usd so far. Two full days and one night. One ultra sound. I was hooked up to intravenous as I was dehydrated and my white cell counts where very scary. As well as others. They just kept refilling the bags and pouring stuff down my throat. Waking me every hour for blood pressure tests and more down the throat. What a ride that was. Plus I had to try and drag the IV contraption into the little bathroom in time or well you get the picture. It always seemed to be a sudden movement to say the least. I think the thing that bugged me the most was my butt was was burnt to a crisp from the trots and using TP became an agonizing event. A bidet would have been a little more soothing but they don't serve food there so a bidet would have been a hose if I had asked.
Gotta admit my heros every time I have been in any hospital have been the nurses, they are such unsung heros to me. I truly admire nurses. My love and best to all who are nurses!
So I got released at 10pm friday night. I did feel better, if I had been in Canada I likely would have stayed the night. But I just did not want to fight that little bathroom anymore. I told the doc I felt ok to go and I suppose I really did. That is when they put me through the ultra sound and saw the organs looked fine. My stomach pains where for the most part subsided and since food had consisted of a great soup home grown from my friend Christi not much was moving so I figured I could head home to try and get well there. So I got home and the Park Royal people let my wife get what ever I needed to the room as far a food is concerned. The Park people are fabulous to us. I appreciate them bending their rules a bit. The cook was so great about making me soup with out any spices.
I woke up with only two trips to the can for voiding only, a good sign my hydration was up. I ate a banana and some light stuff for breakfast and it felt ok in my stomach. No dizziness or nausea. Went down to Palapita at 1pm. to chat up all my friends that had been worried. I was surprised at how many had arrived. Man I'm choked I cant dive tomorrow and I was so patiently waiting to dive with them. Hard to take.
But as I write this now it's midnight. My wife and I strolled downtown at the parade and had some soup at the plaza. We dropped into Wet Wendys for quick visit and headed home. I feel great right now. I have several pills left to take, a day of tripping to Punta Sur with my wife. Then diving starts again on Monday. yah.
Pelagic my friend I am so sad I did not get to dive our shore dive. I was totally excited about that. I would have loved to have you meet my wife. I am so excited that she now certified. She is just chewing at the bit waiting for me to get better so she can get in again. I do hope we get to meet. I hope your dive vacation was great also. Thank you for the concern. It means a lot.
I am looking forward to a great nights rest. be well all and good diving!!

Glad you're ok. So which hospital would you suggest then, if needed?

Hi Don! I was told I should have gone to the hyperbaric chamber hospital. That's why I made the mistake. Medico has one also.
For sure I dont want to make the Medico out as medical misses, I think they did well for me. I just was told that they had their way with me as far as fees went. The other hospital is not private as the Medico told me, as I complained of the fee amount to no avail.

Someone else recently warned against the private one, suggesting the hyperbaric chamber hospital, for many of the same reasons. I suppose I'd call DAN first then go where they said, but I need to make a note of the name and address of the hyperbaric chamber hospital.

Shame that had to happen on vacation but good that you're better now. Any specific diagnosis given or just a bad case of food poisoning?

Kevin, glad you're OK. Got in some great dives, saw lots of cool stuff. I just got one of those little GoPro HD cameras right before the trip and got some great videos. Can't wait to go back. Looks like we will be returning in early December. Is it too early to start a "Who's going in December?" thread? :D
At least, in a couple of months, I'll have local diving to tide me over until then. So, when you talk about the hyperbaric chamber hospital, are you referring to the chamber on Calle 5 across from Aldora Divers?

Back
Top Bottom