firstdive2005, You OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you remind your countrymen on the Canadian forum? "Obtain low cost, international medical coverage or you're on your own!"

I may be the only one but- there's a Canadian forum????

I suppose I put my tale of woe out as a reminder of the insurance thing. I knew I was covered by my trip insurance from Manulife but I was errant in thinking Canadians would be covered by Dans trip insurance. They aren't. As there are several other items not given/available to us via the policy. It is however still a major good idea to have Dan in the event of a dive accident or chamber ride issue. ( I need to say this I dont want to dis Dan cause DD will put a hit out on me. lol)

Thanks. I thot it was pretty much no coverage out of country. I guess your state department has warnings on their site that often go ignored like ours often are. Do you remind your countrymen on the Canadian forum? "Obtain low cost, international medical coverage or you're on your own!"

It is on our website, it is in the brochure you get when you register for a health card and it is mentioned in the cover letter that goes out when renewal stickers go out every couple of years. Plus we have posters for physician offices, we periodically send letters tp physicians reminding them of the policy, and we advertise in the physician's magazine. People just don't pay attention.

In Saskatchewan we cover a SMALL part of out of country emergency costs equal to the average per diems in provincial reciprocal agreements but that is a drop in the bucket compared to US daily hospital rates. Plus we don't pay repatriation costs so if you are hooked up to a ventilator and need a medical transport you are on your own for those costs. Something people NEVER think of. This will vary from province to province since it is outside the Canada Health Act.

We DON'T pay for non-emergency care in the US (or elsewhere for that matter) unless it has been preauthorized. So if, for example, you feel like getting your hip replaced or bariatric surgery in the US, it will not be covered without prior approval. That approval won't likely be granted as those services are available in Canada, albeit waiting times are longer for non emergency care. What is almost always approved are non-experimental, but highly specialized procedures not done in Canada. This nearly always involves extremely rare diseases or conditions or where it has been demonstrated that the life-saving procedure can't be done in a timely way. The latter is a fairly new concept as we struggle to define "timely"....which varies from disease to disease....but is nearly always a form of cancer. A real-life case was an election issue in the last provincial election and the current government (who made it an election issue) has been more willing than previous governments to bend - or more broadly interpret - this policy.

Last edited:
I may be the only one but- there's a Canadian forum????
See ScubaBoard > Regional Travel and Dive Clubs > Mexico > Cozumel at the top of the page? Click Regional Travel and Dive Clubs then click the forum labeled Canada or here's a link: Canada - ScubaBoard
I suppose I put my tale of woe out as a reminder of the insurance thing. I knew I was covered by my trip insurance from Manulife but I was errant in thinking Canadians would be covered by Dans trip insurance. They aren't.
But they are. The key words being trip insurance which is very different from dive insurance. I don't care for DAN's trip plan much, but it will cover up to $20,000 medical - accident or illness.
As there are several other items not given/available to us via the policy. It is however still a major good idea to have Dan in the event of a dive accident or chamber ride issue. ( I need to say this I dont want to dis Dan cause DD will put a hit out on me. lol)
Now there you are confusing a different insurance product offered thru DAN as dive insurance covers dive accidents or chamber ride issues, but not medical other than a small benefit for non-diving accidents outside of home country on the top plan, nothing for illness other than emergency evacuation.

I can tell you many things I dislike about DAN by the way, hell - I even told a few to DAN's President on a phone conversation once, but they are a good organization in some ways, or a need at least. No one should scuba dive without DAN or similar dive accident coverage, not even OW students.

DAN also offers other insurance products probly because members kept asking them to do so, none of those do I recommend. One can usually do better elsewhere on the rest.

First of all, in this culture where nurses are portrayed as murders, sadists and ho's it means a lot to hear your appreciation towards my profession! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.:D

I appreciate you posting your experience. So many of us would have made the same choice as you when it comes to seeking health care. I will definitely pay more attention to the medical coverage and covered facilities when choosing my travel insurance. I know some people who prefer Dive Assure over DAN because it acts as your primary versus secondary insurer. I wonder if this makes any difference in covering incidents like this. Glad to hear you are better. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

I know some people who prefer Dive Assure over DAN because it acts as your primary versus secondary insurer. I wonder if this makes any difference in covering incidents like this.
No, they will both ignore it equally.

Dive Assure does offer good dive insurance but that gimmick about being primary is BS.

See ScubaBoard > Regional Travel and Dive Clubs > Mexico > Cozumel at the top of the page? Click Regional Travel and Dive Clubs then click the forum labeled Canada or here's a link: Canada - ScubaBoard

The key words being trip insurance which is very different from dive insurance. I don't care for DAN's trip plan much, but it will cover up to $20,000 medical - accident or illness.

Thanks DD. I should have elaborated more with my response. The best thing about SB is that I learn something new every time I'm on here.

Thanks to everybody

Matthew

Sorry to read about your being sick, Kevin, glad you're recovering.
How long are you guys staying on the island ? I'll arrive in Coz on the 15th.
Hope to run into you.

Do you remind your countrymen on the Canadian forum

Nope. That is about diving in Canada so no need. Their medical costs would be covered in a Canadian dive accident.

Good to hear that you are well & getting ready to continue your vacation, and even better yet witness & share in your wife's new undersea adventure.

Re Visa, did you have a Gold card which requires a yearly fee but includes out of country medical? Or just a standard card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom