First Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking of buying my first wetsuit. I dive in a Colombia and most places are fine without a wetsuit so I dive with ScubaPro shorts and usually with a long sleeve Under Armor shirt. So far so good but I’ve heard that for Gorgona and Malpelo you need a wetsuit.

Has anyone tried the Deep6 3mm wetsuit? I like their pockets and it seems to have some good features. The sizing doesn’t seem to work because according to the weight it will be too long.

I own the 3mm and love it. Feels well made and I like the pockets. As well, it is warm. Used on a couple of dives so far.
Now that I plan to dive cold Ontario waters, I just bought their 7mm suit (have not used it yet).
For me the fit is great although a little long at the legs, but not enough to be an issue.
If you don’t feel it’s a good fit, then it may not do what it’s designed to do, your call.

My Deep6 3mm wetsuit was too long in the arms and legs. I had a company that does custom wetsuit alterations shorten the arms and legs. However, in hindsight I think I could have done this myself. The arms and legs don't have any kind of hem at the end. As far as I can tell from looking at it, it seems all the company did was cut the ends off (probably with scissors).

I own the 3mm and love it. Feels well made and I like the pockets. As well, it is warm. Used on a couple of dives so far.
Now that I plan to dive cold Ontario waters, I just bought their 7mm suit (have not used it yet).
For me the fit is great although a little long at the legs, but not enough to be an issue.
If you don’t feel it’s a good fit, then it may not do what it’s designed to do, your call.

Thanks, do you feel that the seal would suffer if you shortened the sleeves and legs?

My Deep6 3mm wetsuit was too long in the arms and legs. I had a company that does custom wetsuit alterations shorten the arms and legs. However, in hindsight I think I could have done this myself. The arms and legs don't have any kind of hem at the end. As far as I can tell from looking at it, it seems all the company did was cut the ends off (probably with scissors).
Thanks Lorenzoid, Did the seals suffer when you shortened the sleeves and legs?

Thanks Lorenzoid, Did the seals suffer when you shortened the sleeves and legs?

No. They only shortened them by a few centimeters. Unlike some other wetsuits I have owned, the arms and legs of my Deep6 have no special seals at the ends. The whole arm or leg is just a continuous neoprene tube.

Go with a 5 mm in case you wish to dive elsewhere.
Personally, I agree. I've never felt like 3 mm wetsuits are warm, and after a couple days of diving even in Indonesia and Thailand I felt like I started to get cold once the dives got close to an hour in length. a 5 mil is just more versatile.

That's the difference between a cheap wetsuit and a Deep 6. It dives like a 5 mm suit without the added bulk. They do run a little long in the arms and legs but the last 6 inches or so is a different material, glideskin or something like that. They flow VERY little water. If you open the neck up to flush it getting out of the water, the water just runs to the legs and stays there until you pull the ankles open. I intended to put zippers in the ankles and a pee zipper in mine when I got it, but like it too much to be without it for 6 weeks.

I can dive two cenotes in mine with a hood and be fine. I'm a little cold natured. They recommend a 5 mil minimum for cenotes.

Absolutely a quality suit in every way. If they have your size left...get one. You won't find a better deal or better suit on the market right now.

Jay

For me it would be a 20mm in case I get scooped up by a water tanker and dropped into a volcano but first I would see what's available Wetsuits - Thermal and which ones have wrist and ankle zippers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom