first trip to AC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banker Boy

Registered
Reaction score
We are staying just south of town during the first week of March and wanted some information about recommended operators and protocols on AC. We'd love to find a "valet" type service for the week...a shop that would rinse and store our gear overnight (we'll dive for 7 straight days). Smaller boats 6pax, would be preferred. Any ideas for this type of operator?

The other issues we had are:

Set dive time or do you dive your own computer?

Set schedules of dive sites by days of the week?

Divemasters in the water leading dives or are you on your own?

Nitrox availability?

Should we book in advance or can we arrange on-site?

Thanks

I think most dive ops in San Padro are pretty much what your looking for.

My wife and I do our local diving with Chuck and Robbie's (AmberGriscayeDiving - Belize Scuba Diving, Ambergris Caye Belize, Belize Diving & PADI Instruction) when we visit San Padro. They have a smaller boat and smaller dive groups. They take care of all your gear between dive days. We dove our computer, no set dive site schedule....you go were Robbie thinks the conditions are best or by what you want to see. The DM leads the dives. Nitrox is available in san padro...I know amigos del mar has it and supplies it to other dive ops. You can book in advance or on-site..really doesn't matter unless it's a busy week during high season. Have a great trip. Be aware that the seas may be a bit ruff in March from the tradewinds if I remember correctly if you get seasick easy. We were there last April...had a few days of 8'-12' swells to deal with diving. Definatly do a 3 tank day dive trip to the blue hole or turneffe elbow while your there.

Here in San Pedro, most dive centers go out with 6 to 8 people depending on what time of year. Most of the time the groups are small 6 or less. As for the dive it self; the divemaster is your tourleader and he or she sets the profile, usually 60 to 80 ft on the first dive depending upon the skill level of the guests. the 2nd dive is between 50/ 60 ft.
Most dive companies dive by peoples air and deco time not a set dive time. The dive sites are set up the morning of the dive depending on several factors, 1 clarity 2 what sive site have been visited by the current guests, are there other boat diving that dive site already? You can always ask the tour leader for a particular on and it is usually granted.
Nitrox is available but is only supplied by a few shops, most dive centers get thers from Amigos Del Mar.
lastly; you book any time, it is always better to let a dive center know you are coming and what dates. but you do not have to commit to any dive ahead of time.
hope this answers all you questions,
Have Fun and Dive Safe

Back
Top Bottom