First trip alone, no wife, no kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a mix of vacations; sometimes wife and kiddo (and sometimes mother-in-law) with me, sometimes solo. These tend to be different kinds of trips. With the non-divers, I don't dive as much and choose destinations with more topside entertainments. These create special family memories.

When solo, I go to dive. Not do land tours (though if it's part of the package that's great, and they do add something - especially in the Galapagos, but also Belize), dive! And I get more diving in.

My wife likes to take the occasional 'girls' road trip' for a few days to Panama City Beach or similar with an old high school buddy, hand at an ocean front hotel, stare at the ocean, yak and mosey around 'piddling' and going here and there kinda randomly. No researching or planning, etc... Which would drive me insane.

Best of both worlds.

Not been to Panama since my college days in West Palm Beach.....always a good time. But I agree with you, i need a plan or I'll lose my mind! This trip the only plan is to Dive, eat and recharge!

Was there a few weeks ago. There were a few people there alone, and they quickly became friends with people...like our group! Easy to do at meals, and on the dive boats. Have fun!

That's what i hoping for, meet some people to shore dive and eat with. Not a fan of eating or diving alone!

Thanks for everyone's well wishes for my trip.....can hardly wait!

My wife likes to take the occasional 'girls' road trip' for a few days to Panama City Beach or similar with an old high school buddy, hand at an ocean front hotel, stare at the ocean, yak and mosey around 'piddling' and going here and there kinda randomly. No researching or planning, etc... Which would drive me insane.
Hmmm. My husband just told me you and I are a lot alike.

upload_2020-3-5_11-45-7.jpeg

I took it as a compliment :)

i have done a few solo trips. i don't think i am cut out for it. some were for dive training so "most" of the day was accounted for with that. but then the evenings were pretty boring and lonely to be honest. i am kind of a loner so i don't go out of my way to meet new people (unless it is on a dive boat for example)
i did find however that my sleep patterns completely changed. i went to bed much earlier than normal and got up way earlier than normal. i always found that interesting. in our normal daily lives we don't just go by how we feel. we have to be up at a specific time to be at work and so we go to bed at a specific time in order to try and get a decent sleep. even when i have gone camping in the bush alone it was the same for me. early to bed....early to rise.
hope you enjoy your time. we stayed a couple times next door at hotel coz. lots of people really enjoy scuba club. night shore dives are great around there.

i have done a few solo trips. i don't think i am cut out for it. some were for dive training so "most" of the day was accounted for with that. but then the evenings were pretty boring and lonely to be honest. i am kind of a loner so i don't go out of my way to meet new people (unless it is on a dive boat for example)
i did find however that my sleep patterns completely changed. i went to bed much earlier than normal and got up way earlier than normal. i always found that interesting. in our normal daily lives we don't just go by how we feel. we have to be up at a specific time to be at work and so we go to bed at a specific time in order to try and get a decent sleep. even when i have gone camping in the bush alone it was the same for me. early to bed....early to rise.
hope you enjoy your time. we stayed a couple times next door at hotel coz. lots of people really enjoy scuba club. night shore dives are great around there.

Definitely curious how my sleeping is going to play out; for the nights, figure I will read myself to sleep. I'm a pretty outgoing guy, so I'm sure I'll meet people. Shore night diving sounds amazing....I've only shore night diving I've done is in lake Michigan, which is always a great dive for critters, just cold as usual!

My wife and I dive travel a good bit and I know how fortunate I am that we both dive. For her own reasons drift diving in Cozumel is not her favorite so these days I do Coz solo. I've been fortunate to meet a wonderful group of folks for diving & dining ("the usual suspects"); a dive shop that fits my needs (there are lots of them); and I've found a great place to stay in town with wonderful hosts I now consider to be friends. It may take a couple of trips to find the right fit, but for me Coz is about more than just the diving. Plus my wife can join me anytime she wants too. :) Have fun...:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I love traveling solo. Having complete freedom to make or change plans based on what I want to do, being alone with my thoughts and my books, meeting other weirdo loners and swapping stories of our travel adventures...plus if my husband stays home, I know the cat is in good hands. Enjoy your trip!

One day I hope one of my daughters will come with me. The little one just turned 11 and really wants to get her junior certification. That way I can have a buddy for shore diving.

I have two daughters and two of the nicest days were when they decided to dive. My 28 year old decided at 12 and my 24 year old at 21 so it has been a nice 16 years. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom