First time to Cozumel this week. Any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrawhorn

Registered
Reaction score
Taking my first trip to Cozumel later this week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on "can't miss" things to do, eat, see, dive etc. or any "stay away from" warnings. A group of us has rented a house on the beach just north of town for a week. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is my short list:
1. Things to do: Rent a car for a day and cruise around the island looking for the best Margarita. Designated driver is a must.
2. Eat: Dinner at LaCocay. Don't miss it. The chef's name is Rob. The food is awesome.
3. To See: The drunken idiots from the cruise ships at Carlos and Charlies.
4. To Dive: Palancar Gardens. Awesome!
5. Stay away from: The drunken idiots from the cruise ships at Carlos and Charlies!!
You are gonna love it in Cozumel. :D :D

When you find out, come back and tell me because I will be on my first trip to coz the end of this month. Basically I plan on renting a car and cruising around the island, and doing a lot of diving, and eating, and some drinking, and repeating as necessary. Come back and post a report...

sharkman
:guitar:

I'd second a lot of what Tim said....La Cocay is definately one of my favorite restaurants on the planet.

As a cruise regular (ie crew), I would definately recomend avoiding Senor Frogg's, Carlos and Charlie's and Fat Tuesdays....unless getting trashed is how you're looking to spend your vacation :)

Have a great time, dive often and safely and send us a trip report!

Peace,
Cathie

Here's short list of activities I assembled last month (There is a separate one for restaurants):

In no particular order:

1. Take the ferry over to the mainland and tour Xcaret, Tulum, Chitzen Itza & other famous Mayan Cities like Coba (recommended). Your travel agent or Coz hotel arrange these, or you can do them on your own. BTW, if you decide to do Chitzen Itza, fly. The bus trip is a killer.

Also over on that side is the Crococun Zoological Park. I haven't done it, but it's been highly recommended to me by several people. It's just a bit north of Puerto Morelos, which is north of Playa del Carmen where to Coz passenger ferries dock. I'd guess it's about 20-30 min north on the highway to Cancun, on the right.

Or, just take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, walk arond & have lunch at one of the many nice eatries. Ferries leave regularly from early AM to late PM, take about 1/2 hour & cost about $US17 r/t.

2. If you've got about $125 burning a hole in your pocket, play golf at the new Cozumel Country Club up north (shop around for a possible deal).

3. Or spend much less for Golfito where you can walkie-talkie for cold margaritas.

4. Anticlimatic for most divers, non-divers enjoy the Atlantis Submarine Tour.

5.There's some rather good deep sea fishing off Coz. Try Albatros. If you'd rather fish the lagoons or flats, contact me & I'll hook you up with a private guide.

6. Go parasailing. Several places do this, and one is Fury Cats.

7. Like bull riding? Check out the Bull Riding Rodeo action across from Puerta Maya Pier.

8. Feel like shooting? Paint Ball Cozumel is ~1 mi south of International Pier. Not a great looking course, but okay.

9. See the wilds with Dune Buggy Tours (used to be Tarzan Tours). Office on 7th street, between 5th Ave & Melgar, but they'll pick you up at your hotel. I don't like these contraptions violating the east side, but you'll see parts of Coz you won't get to otherwise.

10. Horseback riding places that I know of include Los Laureles, Palmitas, San Miguel & Rancho Buenavista Ranches, all south of town. Likely there are others. Hotel can arrange.

11. IMHO, an often missed gem is the Museo de las Isla de Cozumel at Melgar between Calles 4 & 6N. Cool reef diaorama, very informative tours if the curator is around, and a terrace restaurant with nice water view & good breakfast.

12. Beto has reopened his go cart track further south of the old location. Heading south as you approach Puerta Maya it's on the left.

13. Cozumel Archaeological Park, about 10 min east of town on Cross Island Road (Av 65 S, I believe), near San Gervasio. See the ruins, both natural & reproductions, in the area. Conitnue on around to the east side and see the Castillo Real & Tumba El Caracol ruins.

14. Helicopter tours. Was Rio Blanco, but think it's Magic Sky now. Anyway, pad is just south of the International Pier. Ask around.

15. I'm not into captive dolphins, but if you are down at Chankanaab Park is Dolphin Discovery. Also a small botanical garden.

16. If you personally are interested in diving caverns/caves on Coz proper, I can orient you to the locations & natures of several sites, but easiest is to go through Yucatech Expeditions. They can also hook you up with mainalnd cenote/cave diving, as can most Coz ops.

17. Haven't done this one, there's a small, uninhabited island in the far north called Isla de la Pasion. Supposedly has nice beach, but probably mobbed by cruisers. Need boat to get there--hotel can arrange.

18. Pay a visit (and make a donation) to one of the hyperbaric chambers that is open on a regular basis (one at the beach is not). I'd recommend the BMM facility over the one run by Dr. Piccolo. Can be informative & you'll have a good chance to see it operating. BMM is at Calle 5 Sur, #21-B, right next to the DAN Products shop.

19. Treat yourself to a message. There are a number of places to go, but great on the body & easy on the eyes is mi amiga, Helen Green. I also hear good things about Laura DiTuri (lauritad@hotmail.com) who'll come to your hotel.

20. Take a bike cruise. Can rent em at Aguilar Rentadora, just north of Calle 5 & Melgar, and at the No Name Bar (it's up for sale but hasn't been bought yet best as I know) right across the street from the International Pier. Stay off the main roads as much as possible. I can work out a route for you if you need one.

21. Squash can be had on Juarez & 75th Ave, left just before the "second" PEMEX station. Nice, new facility

22. Can never go wrong movies, and new 6-screen Cinepolis is right behind Chedraui shopping center.

23. If your group includes adult males looking for some raunchy doings, check out the Caribbean Queen (the raunchiest of the lot) on the Cross Island Road, or in town at Platino's (costly fun) or Negro & Blanco. Any cab driver will know where they are.

24. If you like disco/rock/raggae Las Boyas (Calle 3, between Avenida 15 & Ave 20), Neptuno's (Melgar & Calle 11Sur), Shake It (Salas & 10th Ave), Delfines (Salas diagonally across from Deep Blue) & Chicho's (upstairs on Ave 10 between Calles 7 & Calle 9) have some action. It think these address are correct & I assume that they all still open. I know most of them are.

25. For strains of Salsa to the aroma of Cuba cigars, it's the Havana Club (Melgar between Calles 6 & 8).

26. Late evening dancing is way cool at Cafe Salsa (10th Ave between Juarez & 2). Some very skilled moves here.

If you run out of things to do, feel free to e-mail me.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVinkingo, great list. i've done many of the items you show. I would like to add that if you take the ferry over and rent a car to drive to Tulum, you might condider spending the second half of the dat at Zel Ha (sp?). Pretty cool place to snokel for non-divers and the reverse thermocline is interesting.

I wold love to see your restauraunts list. I'm always looking for new places to eat. Especially places whos chicken does not resemble the local reptiles...lol I'm still scared to have chicken fahitas in coz.

Regards,
Texan

Doc you rule!! Thanks for the list. I have been a few times but am going with family this April. I am forwarding the list to all interested parties for consideration. Thanks again.

You are welcome to drop in and see Christy Rudd and I - we are running the bar at the Villablanca - we're happy to help with any questions you may have while you are here in Cozumel...

That's an incredible list Doc! I've been to Coz a few times & I've only done about 1/4 of your list. I think I'll skip #23 tho:D

Doc's #3:

My wife and I spent a couple hours at the Mini Golf. It's was great. We met several local families spending the afternnon. We also met the owner, who is also one of the walkie talkie waitresses. She was so nice to us. You call her and place a drink order, and she brings it out to you, actually thought it was pretty cool.
Also you get to pick a list of 20 songs or so, that you want played while your there.

It's a great place to burn a couple hours, if you must be outta the water.

Went to Carribbean Queen once, basically a Whore House... But a place to go once.

#12 - You gotta go Go Carting. We went with a group and had such a good time.

#15 - My wife did the Dolphin thing several years ago - Still a highlite for her. She loves Dolphins and got to swim with them. It was cool, but kinda sad that they are kept in pens. Still a nice park to spend the day in.

#19 - My Favorite. Massages are realatively cheap there ($30\hour). I get atleast 6 while I am there. He referrences a person who will come to your room, that's a new one for me, I use the Hotel's masure.

We rented a car and drove around the Island one day, that was great. Found many new beaches and places to play, also found the Mexican Target....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom