First time tank buyer...fair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
Is a "dolphin" brand tank, LP steel 85, that was hyrdoed and vised a month ago a good deal at $150? I could probably get 2 old steel 72's also in hydro for about the same price or a little more, or I could spend more and get this one which might be wiser? It's for diving in the cold waters of Santa Barbara btw.

thanks

Nate

A LP85 in hydro and vis for $150 is a good deal. Never heard of Dolphin though. Does it come with a valve? Do you have a picture? Is the tank new?

fishmunger:
Is a "dolphin" brand tank, LP steel 85, that was hyrdoed and vised a month ago a good deal at $150? I could probably get 2 old steel 72's also in hydro for about the same price or a little more, or I could spend more and get this one which might be wiser? It's for diving in the cold waters of Santa Barbara btw.

thanks

Nate

Can you get all the numbers written around the neck and post them?

Ask him how it was painted green. Honestly, a painted cylinder at a firesale price worries me a LOT.

fishmunger:

thanks

Nate

For what its worth, http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_category_131 has a brand new lp85 for sale for 199.95 with valve. The XS scuba one (I don't know who makes theirs), not the Faber listed above it.

Most likely the cylinder in question is not a Worthington Cylinder. It is most likely not the same as the cylinders listed on the Dolphin Scuba (Sacramento Dive Store) website.

Dolphin Cylinder is the name of a company that is long out of business. It was located in Southern California and owned by Tom Ivey. Dolphin Scuba was a distributor of Luxfer aluminum cylinders and steel cylinders from different manufactures. At different times, steel cylinders sold by Dolphin Cylinders were manufactured by Faber, Coyne, Heiser and maybe others. Though never by Worthington.

If you post the stamping on the cylinder, we can find the actual manufacturer. Most likely it is a Faber cylinder, as Tom painted Faber cylinders "in house" many different colors.

Rainer:
It's a Worthington cylinder.

Personally, I wouldn't get involved with it. It may be a good tank at a good price, but there are too many questions and you'll always be getting asked about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom