first time in saltwater with new sp350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litehedded:
Your photos just make me feel like I made the right decision! They’re terrific photos for a first or tenth time in salt water.:coffee:

I have spent ages doing research into which camera to get. So many people on this board have given me really great advice. I went with the Oly SP-350 and the PT-030 housing, too. Unfortunately, the housing won’t arrive until this week. :shakehead

I missed out shooting a trio of beautiful Flabellina iodinea (Spanish shawl) on the stern of the Ruby Lee at Wreck Alley off San Diego, this morning. I also missed pictures of a Chromodoris macfarlandi (MacFarland’s Chromodorid) at the Valiant in Avalon Harbor yesterday. (Doesn’t it sound like I know what I’m doing when I use the scientific names?) :D

Ah well, I’ll be back at Avalon next Sunday…with my new Sp-350 in my new PT-030 housing! Any other photogs planning to be at the dive park next Sunday? We’ll be to the north side of the steps. Come on by!:snorkel:

kapula:
You got some nice blues there! If you want to experiment a bit more you could try manual white balance instead of just using internal flash. Not that those pictures have very nice light.
you mean not using a flash at all?
i have my white balance set to cloudy but I could use a slate I suppose
would I get any color without the flash?

Yup not using flash at all. You do get colors if you manually set the white balance using a slate. Obviously you'd need to have some light. In depths over 20 metres manual w/b starts to loose all reds as there just isn't any red light anymore. This ofcourse varys with visibility. But give it a shot and see for yourself. I use internal flash very rarely eventhough it's quite good in c-8080.

kapula:
Yup not using flash at all. You do get colors if you manually set the white balance using a slate. Obviously you'd need to have some light. In depths over 20 metres manual w/b starts to loose all reds as there just isn't any red light anymore. This ofcourse varys with visibility. But give it a shot and see for yourself. I use internal flash very rarely eventhough it's quite good in c-8080.
I'll try that on my next dive
i had my white balance set to "cloudy" and everything looked blue when I didn't get close and use the flash. but I was below 20 meters

LiteHedded:
this was my first time taking my new toy in saltwater. I was down to about 90' and it didn't flood....so I got that going for me :D
Sweet! You're going to have lots of fun with that toy!
Remember to share :)
Rick

Crawl79, u can also use ikelite's housing for the sp350. There was a thread by me sometimes ago asking our kind scubababoard members of advises which housing is better to use. Hope u bought the most suitable one for you.

They don't do too bad with video either for such an inexpensive camera. Here's a quick video I did after a Cozumel trip a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't expecting to take any video...just did it on a whim. I didn't realize at the time that I could set the white balance for video too, so some video is colorful where I had set it for stills. I'll remember that next time. Keep in mind, this is low-resolution for sake of file-size.

My first video - right-click, save as

Boy, you're not kidding. Do you remember what resolution you had the camera set at?

torrey:
Boy, you're not kidding. Do you remember what resolution you had the camera set at?
I think it's set at the default
either that or I ramped it up to the highest quality when I got the camera
the file is about 30 megs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom