First time in cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't go wrong with any of the cenotes that are commonly visited. Chac mool and Dos ojos are two popular ones. I guess my answer would be 'all of them' but that's not very helpful. The main thing is to get a good guide that is safety minded and consider a private tour, especially for your first cenote dive.

You're going to love it!

Hi there. I'd like to offer you the services of my dive center Beyond Diving. We do daily trips to the cenotes. You could say it is our specialty. Please have a look at our website http://www.beyonddivingscuba.com , and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send us an email to info@beyonddivingscuba.com

I'm currently in PDC diving with my Dad. We use Dive Shop Mexico. Andrea there is a particularly good Cenote DM. We dove Dos Ojos, Chac Mool, and Kukulkan previously. Today, we did Dreamgate. All are amazing, you can't go wrong with any Cenotes.

They're all different. Cenote Eden (Ponderosa) is probably the least "cavelike", with lots of ambient light and views out into Cenote Corral. Taj Maha has fantastic halocline effects, and if you do it at the right time of day, some amazing light beams and refraction coming down through cracks in the roof. Grand Cenote has huge, majestic formations, and beautiful views out into the ambient light. Dos Ojos is probably the most "cavelike" of the commonly used tour cenotes, and has some amazingly white limestone and blue water. Chac Mool has a huge cavern, with a great opportunity to experience floating in "midair".

Be careful who you book for tours. Inquire whether your guide is APSA certified, or adheres to the APSA guidelines. They include no more than four divers to a guide; everyone must have lights, and the guide must be in cave gear. Guide must be at least an OW DM, and certified to Full Cave. An orientation lecture, including buoyancy and non-silting propulsion, is to be given, and at no time should a tour pass one of the Peligro signs (entering into true cave). A guideline must be present at all times. I have seen tours violate all these rules, and there was a triple fatality there in 2012 when a guide took his charges into true cave.

Hey at Phantom Divers we offer Cenotes tour everyday at 8:30 in the morning. We like going first to Chac Mool SINCE IT IS THE BEST for people doing for the first time a Cenote, the cavern spaces are large and open so tons of light come in and you can experience different rock formations, the halocline and 2 dives in different areas. After that Dos ojos is one of the largest cave systems in Mexico and you could see a lot of stalactites and stalacmites.

I hope this helps!

Buceo en Playa del Carmen - Phantom Divers

1833b_a3cd.jpeg

the cenotes are a great experience. hit up you tube and see some of the videos of different ones to maybe help you decide.

as far as dive op recommendations........bluelife all the way. email frank for details. tell him rick from thunder bay sent ya. top notch outfit.

I'm currently in PDC diving with my Dad. We use Dive Shop Mexico. Andrea there is a particularly good Cenote DM. We dove Dos Ojos, Chac Mool, and Kukulkan previously. Today, we did Dreamgate. All are amazing, you can't go wrong with any Cenotes.

Hi there, just thought I'd jump in on this comment,,,,please note that you are clearly very happy with your DM ,, BUT and its a big but,, Dreamgate is NOT a Cenote as recognised by pretty much every operator here in the Riviera Maya. Dreamgate is classed officially as a "Cave Dive" and should not be dived as a Cenote..
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom