First Time Gear Purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WD....

This isn't related to dive gear, but I'd thought I would let you know about some good diving out in your neck of the ocean.

Once you get enough dive experience, you might want to check out some of the great shipwrecks that are off the NC coast, especially around Diamond Shoals.

It is considered a bit of advanced diving, but it is one really neat experience.

I can personally recommend a good dive operator, Red, Wet, and Blue Diving.. Kamala Shadduck runs a top notch charter and she ensures that all divers have a great time. I was out there last October and enjoyed myself. I hope to get back there again this summer.

Hello Waterdogs,

You asked: "Question: How do you wait and try things when probably most of the rental gear is used, low level equipment which doesnt' give you the chance to try to first class quality gear? "

My LDS rents most all the low level AND upscale equipment they carry - from BCD's to computers to regs. Of coarse the upscale stuff costs alittle more but you can rent it before you buy it to see if you like it.

I was lucky, right after my ow cert. and found a dive shop going out of business and bought some low level equip for cheap. I used it for a couple of years until I determined what type of diving and equip I really needed and liked. Now I have a backup BCD, computer, fins, etc.

Also I was able to try the different equip my buddies, divecon, DM and instructor used and asked questions.

IMHO, wait until you have developed your skills and then find a shop that rents "the good stuff" and try it. If your skills aren't advanced enough, the cheap stuff usually works just as good.

:wink:

Thanks Texas and Scuba Duke,

I probably will wait until we have gotten a few dives under our belts before trying the NC Coast. I've heard some great things out there but I don't think we are going to be at that level for some time, infact, once we complete our OWC in March, I'm trying to figure out how we can keep in practice until our honeymoon in July.

thanks,

waterdogs

ScubaDuke, we have a great LDS here in Charlotte which are working with now for our OWC and some of our gear, they do have exceptional prices but I don't believe they will rent us the quality gear to do our OWC. I guess will just have to try some and listen to comments on the others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom