First Time Gear Purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
I've read a lot of comments on first time gear purchases and I do have a question or two.

We are in the process of our OWC and using LDS gear for pool sessions. Most comments I've read say wait some time before you purchase BCDS, regs,octo, etc. wait until you either try something you like or hear from others.

Question: How do you wait and try things when probably most of the rental gear is used, low level equipment which doesnt' give you the chance to try to first class quality gear?

Secondly, although diving is a buddy sport, it seems a personal sport as well when it comes to picking your gear. We all have different tastes and wants, what my be good for one maynot be good for the others. I've listned to the LDS, forums, other divers, and only tried a few pieces of low level equipment. How much stock do we put in personal opinions?

I wanted to get our gear early so we could practice with it during our OWC and our first dives, is that totally wrong. I thought it would be best to feel comfortable with 1 type of equipment.

Any thoughts.

waterdogs,

from buying gear before you get a few dives under your belt. But saying that, I have to admit that I bought my first regs, and inherited an old BC before my first formal class. While I hardly ever use my BC anymore, I just LOVE my Micra/Cousteau regulators. They are the best!

As an old automotive technician (30 years in the business) I had a rule for only borrowing a tool twice, before buying for my own. Usually, I just needed to know that the tool existed, and it could even sit a year or two before I really needed it to justify it's purchase. Heck, I have tools that are still in their original boxes in my huge overly stuffed box. A part of that rule was to not buy a tool that would only "get you by" but one that was best for the job you needed it for. Multi-purpose tools are not good by me.

So, as I looked at how much I would dive just to get certified, I came to the conclusion that I needed to get the very best. One thing at time was my philosophy, and the store that sold me the reg was about to dispose of the BC because it had been too bleached by the pool... so they gave it to me.

thanks netdoc,

new equipment and pool time. We are planning to do 4 pool classes, then freshwater OWC, then about 10 dives saltwater per year. Is this limited pool time going to effect our equipment even though its very limited. Should we use it if we purchase or stay with the rental gear?

I've read the comments on effect of chlorine on BCDS', etc, but will 4 times really effect it?

thanks, waterdogs,

Hey waterdogs;

First, let me welcome you to both the board and to the sport.

If I may, let me summarize the points that (I think) everyone on the board agrees with.... (and if they don't we'll know soon enough :D)

1) You should get your personal gear immeadiately (Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Booties).

2) the gear you need is based on what kind of diving you want to do, and where you are going to dive. Through OW and AOW, you'll learn what kind of diving you want to do.

3) comfort and trust in your kit is crucial, you should be somewhat comfy in the water before you worry about comfort in your kit

4) Rather than coughing up a couple of grand now - finish your OW cert and make sure you pass and still enjoy diving.

5) There are lots of differnt types of gear (Back Inflated vs Vest vs Backplate/Wings; split fins vs paddle fins; etc.) You'll need some diving experience before you can tell what is best for you.

There is a good thread about which gear to buy first, you might want to read that.

Having said that, you might get a better deal from the LDS if you buy it all at once; combined with courses et al.

Good luck

Thanks Ontario,

We have purchased our regular equipmet (mask, fins, booties, snorkels, etc) I believe good stuff for the kind of diving we believe we will do.

Our dive plans: 10 dives a year, simple easy, less than 80ft. Who needs more for right now. In time, if my future wife would like, I would like to continue our education with AOW, and other courses, navigation, adventure, etc. But just plain easy diving.

I just didnt' know if it was best to get used to the gear during training or experiment. I relate scuba equipment purchases to purchasing golf clubs, i do try them once, but mainly its all in the swing and preparation.

thanks for the advice.

waterdogs,

Hi waterdogs:

I agree with Ontario Diver, it’s going to take some time for you to find out what’s best for you. Don’t rush it. Get experience and learn about the different types of equipment that is available. You mentioned how do you take stock in others opinions on gear. Peoples opinion on there gear is generally based on how it works for them. In diving gear FIT & FUNCTION id paramount. Your gear must fit you properly and function well for the type of diving you plane to do. Sense we are all different, the gear that fits your spouse or dive buddy well, my not fit you well at all. I’m not talking about sizes here, I’m speaking of our bodies physical make up. Are we short , tall, blocky, do we have a long neck, no neck ? Long or short torso ? How’s the shape of your jaw, do you have a big mouth or a little one ? All these thing and more can effect how equipment fits us and how comfortable we are in it. As stated earlier fit is important. Your mask needs to fit properly so that it doesn’t leek. If your BC is too loose it may ride up on you on the surface or rotate under water. Too tight and it may restrict your breathing. All the major dive equipment manufacturers make a good product, but it’s how it fits and functions for your that should guide your purchasing.

Dive Safe ……………….Arduous

No prob...

Let me throw out another idea to consider.... If you are going to do 10 dives per year, it might be cost effective to rent equipment when you need it . Computer, Tanks, Reg set are high capital items.

That way all of the expenses in equipment (repairs, annual maintenance) is bourne by the shop. Up here in Canada, a good reg set will set you back $1000 Cdn... or I can rent for $25. So I have to do 40 dives to break even on the reg set. Now I choose to buy because of the type of diving I do and want to do (cold and deep wrecks).

There are lots of resons why this would not work.... You may be one of those people who trust equipment that they own more than what you would rent. Or you may collect toys (like me!) Or the dive store might be too far away... If I may carry on your golf analogy - your personal gear is like golf clubs... The other kit may be closer to buying a golf cart (draggable or driveable)

I'd still recommend buying your own exposure protection tho.

(And yes, I am recommending that you think about renting a computer for 10 dives a year.....Let the flames begin!)

Of course, you can always buy stuff when you get really keen and start diving 60 times a year :D

Just like you said, TOYS. I do feel better having our own gear due to trust and reliability, and you never know, we may dive more.

Im a lot like some out there, if this is any indication, I have 3 sets of clubs, 8 bags with a 7 handicap. I hit all three sets the same but i guess i like variety and a just in case set, you know (lake toss).

I know it's expensive, but if we didn't have debt, we wouldn't have anything or anyfun.

thanks, waterdogs.

Waterdogs,

North Carolina has some nice diving on the coast. It has some nice wrecks too.

Since I am not independantly wealthy and I have more than one mouth to feed I want to be careful that I buy quality equipment that I will derive the most enjoyment out of. Not quite all rental gear is the same. Sometimes you can get some variety in rental stuff.
Please for your own sake and your wifes sake on BC's try a vest, back inflate and a Transpak type BC. Try to get wet with all three before you buy one.

Tom

Your right, its a good idea to try somethings out, especially when seeking expensive and quality items like BC'S, and I've tried ON and few not all wet though.

I have taken that approach for my future wife, we will try many on for her to make sure she finds on she likes, for me, I;ve looked, read, and will probably buy one of which i've narrowed down to three.

Appreciate all the advice and i will let you know which one we've decided on.

I also have two mouths to feed, girls, they are yellow and red: WATERDOGS. (labs)

Thanks Tom.

waterdogs,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom