First time gear purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rushingwaters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would like to get some feedback on a package deal from scubatoys.com. I am thinking of purchasing the Kickin Aeris & Zeagle Package ($899). I live in Oregon so the water temp is some what cold. I dive mostly in Lakes, but occasionally at the cost, Newport area. I am just a leisure rec diver with no plans at this time to enter Tech diving, ice diving, or cave diving. I do enjoy some wreak diving and crab hunting. I am 6' tall and about 250 lbs. I have mosly been using an Ocianic Pro Jacket BCD and would like to switch over to back inflate. I am on a budget so price is a consern, but safty comes first. What do you all think about this setup for my body type/ location and choice of equipment?

BCD - Zeagle Brigade
Reg - Aeris Atmos Sport Regulator
Octo- Mares Brigade Viper Octo
SPG/Comp -Atmos Nitrox Console

I'm also interested in this package. I would like to get some feedback before I spend the money! I currently don't plan on diving in water temps below 60F and it might be a year or so before I enter the realm of tech diving so at a glance it seems like a good fit!

I cant comment on the whole package but I did own an aeris atmos 2 and didn't like it. If your on a budget just skip the computer and avoid the bad habbits that come with them and get a SPG. That said I still regularly dive with a Suunto cobra.

While the Zeagle is a great BC, I would scale back on the BC and get a better reg set. Remember, you gotta breathe.

the Atmos Nitrox is the Atmos 2, as NWDiver points out ... i actually loved my Atmos 2, but it was wrist mounted

the weak point in that package (in my opinion, of course) are the reg and octo. Aeris and Mares are just not top-grade reg makers. they are good, just not top of the line

for regs, i would consider an Apeks, Atomic, Poseidon, Zeagle, or Scubapro only, but that's just me ... depending on what service is available near me

that said, that package is a solid intro level package, and it won't do you wrong

It is undeniable that most divers go through cycles of gear changes that causes a lot of grievances like "If only I'd known"... It would be great to contemplate your future diving path, and plan ur purchases accordingly. It is good to have gear that you can grow with. =) Btw, i love my Aeris Atmos 2. Completely idiot proof computer...

Good luck!

I love my Atmos 2 wrist mount and the Brigade seems like a rock-solid BC but I wouldn't buy the package for the regs included. Call Scubatoys and see if they will work with you on a replacement reg and octo like the Zeagle Envoy and Envoy octo. They have been accomodating whenever I have had special requests in the past.

Call ScubaToys and talk with the guys there. Ask them to compare the Aeris regs with perhaps other options if you'd like. They're great about putting together personalized packages for great prices (speaking from experience).

You aren't going to go wrong with the Zeagle. Tough as nails, will last you forever!

Those brands are all good. I still use my original Aeris computer from 10 years ago and I love it. The advice to spend more on the reg is good. That is the one piece that you will probably own and use the longest. I would also look into getting the reg serviced. Check to see if there is a shop in the Salem area that can service the Aeris Reg. Your other choice is to send it off and there is extra cost in that. Just something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom