First time for Maui - shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warmwaterturner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, been doing all the research. Read the FAQ's and stickies....looking at all the recommended shops. What sticks out is that shore diving seems abundant - we are experienced divers and used to boat diving at Cozumel and Roatan. We want to do Molokini (backwall) and the Cathedrals - charter already arranged. Pricing indicates that shore diving runs about $65.00 with a guide. Seems a little steep as we want to get about 10 to 12 dives in during our stay. I already have a good idea of the shore sites I want to see - question is do you really need a guide or should I go with a weeks worth of tank rentals and air - and my own research?

If you've never dived Hawaii, IMO you're smart to hire a guide for your first few dives. A good guide will point out all of the unique and interesting critters that you'll likely never find yourself since you won't know what you're looking for. I would suggest you hire someone like Shaka Doug for your first few shore dives, then not only will you be familiar with some of the creatures, but you'll be familiar with the dive sites he takes you to.

For your boat diving, hopefully you're booked with a good operator with good guides that'll show you all the amazing creatures that Maui has to offer.

Have a wonderful trip!!

What your research won't get you is some of the "local knowledge" i.e., the one coral head with the juvenile frog fish on it, the small leaf scorpion fish, etc. You may see the reef, and even find some interesting fish etc. on your own, but sometimes a little local knowledge is a wonderful thing. That said, if you are not a "typical tourist" diver and go into the independent shops (not necessarily Maui Dive Shops), have a nice conversation, don't complain about the prices and condition of the tanks/regs/bcs etc. who knows what someone might tell you. :)

OK, I have not read the FAQ's and Stickies....looking at all the recommended Maui operators from a future, current, ex, and not in a thousand years employee perspective, the most logical reason for the boats not allowing unguided diving is because most experienced divers with similar experience to you are unable to find or appreciate the unique flora and fauna in Hawaii's waters. Then they come on the internet and say Hawaii diving sucks.

There is no way to so control the shore diving, so we often see posts from experienced divers with similar experience to you coming on the internet after unguided Maui (state of Hawaii) shore diving and saying Hawaii diving sucks.

My best advise to such a no details question is; do the boat dives early, and then perhaps some guided shore dives, so you can absorb the spiel of a few experienced guides with respect to the unique reasons Hawaii diving is pretty great. Then you might be able to find cool unique experiences on your own.

Even good operators sometimes make questionable calls. Yesterday I guided friends on a more than 25 minute surface swim shore dive, because the near shore conditions in South Maui were predicted to be murky. At the dive shop renting gear, divers who had had their guided morning shore dive canceled were moving their bookings to other days. My group, diving back to shore from more than a quarter mile out, found the near shore reef to be not terrible (well, OK). That reef is only a quarter mile up the coast from the one where the dive shop canceled the shore dive. Other divers were picking up and dropping off rental gear when we were picking up and dropping off gear, for diving on the North Shore, which looking at forecasts from weather men should have been better; but their report on their dives indicated conditions were about the same (just OK) as my group saw on our return to the shallows.

It is very hard to explain the County regulated quagmire of guided shore diving on Maui, but the short story is that all the "legit" operators are confined to a very few dive sites, on one side of the Island or the other. Only a kind of non-legit operator has the flexibility to do ANY dive site on the Island. With the changing conditions of small Island in the middle of a big ocean diving, it seems the kind of non-legit guides have the most flexibility. All my non-resident dive friends "tip" me at least $50 per head, per tank, and sometimes "buy" photos from me.

Well, I have just primed your thread sufficiently for a spirited discussion if the interim version of ScubaBoard has enough knowledgeable participants anymore. :idk:

Halemano - "All my non-resident dive friends "tip" me at least $50 per head, per tank, and sometimes "buy" photos from me.

$50.00 per head, per tank........why do you get out of bed in the morning??????

I have to agree that all too often folks go to Hawaii and either don't have a guide, or have a crappy one, then complain that diving in Hawaii is terrible. IMO an excellent local guide is worth every penny they're paid!

Personally, I can't get enough of diving Maui and can't wait to be underwater there on Friday and Sunday this week!!! :)

Don't get the posting question wrong....I intend to use a guide. The question is how long? If we are doing 10 to 12 shores - in addition to boat - and probably revisiting favorite sites - do you still think a guide is necessary?

IMHO, I would for sure go with a guide like Shaka Doug. I just got back a week ago and Doug was an unbelievable guide. He know every inch of each site like the back of his hand. Go out with him and take the area in for your self. After one dive with him see if you will remember the dive plan and area. I personally doubt that one or even two dives would get you there.

Check my report:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/386650-maui-dive-report-4-dives-shaka-doug.html

Based on what I saw, even a bad day in Maui kicks butt as compared to our normal SoCal diving. Get me on a plane, I want to go back tomorrow!!!

Good Luck!!

I would say that depending on who you are boat diving with, 2-4 shore dives with a guide like Doug would probably be enough to get you started. You'll likely still miss a LOT of marine life while diving on your own since it takes time to develop your eye for spotting, but you'll see a lot more than if you hadn't used a guide at all.

Who are you boat diving with?

Time of year and "timing" are also part of the mix. If you had been here for 10 days ending today, there might not have been many good shore diving days anywhere south of Black Rock in West Maui.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom