First time for Maui - shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5949602:
Time of year and "timing" are also part of the mix. If you had been here for 10 days ending today, there might not have been many good shore diving days anywhere south of Black Rock in West Maui.

That does happen. We were on Maui in late May. I was able to do a few dives early in the week, but got blown out of the end of the week's diving because of swells and bad viz.

I thought I would do a post trip dive report. First, many thanks for all the input. I took the recommendation for guided shore diving and am glad I did. We are not used to shore diving (entry and exit) and really appreciated the technical advise on dealing with tidal surge and waves. It's one thing to fall off a boat or walk into a quarry or lake but a whole different experience to walk into 4 foot waves carring 50 pounds on your back. We dove Honoluna, Airport and Black Rock (3x's). Additionally, we did two charters to Molokini, Turtle Point and another location. There was concern voiced early in this thread that we might come away from this trip complaining about crappy diving if done so without a guide. Guided or not, I don't think I could ever come to that conclusion. Yes, reef structure are different from places such as Cozumel and Honduras - shore diving is really nonexistant there in comparson. But the back wall at Molokini was a once in a lifetime! It was the best dive we have ever done - marine life speaking. In two dives we covered the back wall to the Edge of the World and finally from Reefs End back to the cove. We saw 5 sharks - three white tips and two grey reef and two spotted eagles. And that was just the big stuff. Water was 80f, vis was 100+, the charter was the Maui Diamond 2 with Chris as the Captain of the boat. Fantastic trip - did 12 dives in 9 days - Maui is a top spot on my list - oh, forgot to mention the pod of Spinners that we met at Black Rock........nothing but fantastic!

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for coming back and posting what you finally did and how it turned out. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom