First time diving with doubles....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trick with doubles is getting on the boat in bigger waves. That might kill your knees. Some guys who come up here have a crane on their boat to lift their doubles out of the water -- very slick.

You'll have to come up to the Straits, and we'll take them for a spin :wink:. I'll take my shears to the bungies when yer not lookin' :D.

Mike

I was waiting for you to chime in Mike. Hell, I almost didnt buy the WOD 'cause I knew that sooner or later you and I would hook up and didn't want them causing you to call a dive. I'll make sure that knots are loose.

Seriously though. I bought the bungies for Fat98 singles use, otherwise, I cannot see them being any significant(Underlined) advantage and WOULD HAVE probably pulled the bungee off for wrecking.

But now.....BUNGIE....BUNGIE....BUNGIE!!!!!!:)

I was trying to think of a way to make a ramp or skids out of Ultra high molecular weight plastic to haul the doubles up into the boat with. I'm wondering if my 19' Sea Ray could handle the straights anyway.

My AOW instructor and his regular buddy are the closest thing to "open minded" I have found....open minded as far as gear and diving configurations go. He indicated that he would like to do the Straits after dark sometime, only concern is the freighters though. That sounds COOL! Dont know enough yet to know if that is a stupid idea or not though.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
The trick with doubles is getting on the boat in bigger waves. That might kill your knees. Some guys who come up here have a crane on their boat to lift their doubles out of the water -- very slick.

Uncle Pug (the boat) has a hydraulic hoist for bringing the 104s aboard... we have been toying with the idea of bringing them aboard with the diver still attached.

I haven't done a night dive at the Straits, but people do it all the time -- the Sandusky would be a good night dive. The frieghters are no biggie if you're not in the channel -- most of the good wrecks aren't anyway.

Your 19 footer will do the Straits just fine. We used a 1978 19' Aristocraft down there a lot. Like most anywhere, it's best getting there early in the morning when it's laid down. It can be flat as glass in the mornings.

If you come up, I'll dive with ya :).

Mike

I gotta get up EARLY????!!!!!!!!!!

What I need to do is stop spending so much money on dive gear and save a little for Boat Maintainence. I have a broken gimbal ring (so the boat place says...I never noticed it) and that'll run me the cost of another set of doubles with at least one regulator!!!

Gee...that makes the doubles seem so much cheaper.....

AAARRRGGHHHHHH...gotta stop thinking like that....must .....save....money......

I can get in the Saginaw river at the city boat launch and hit a Hooter's about 200 yards up river. Further up the way is ANOTHER Hooter's on the same river in Bay City.

BOAT=HOOTER'S RIGHT?

Looks like I might have to come down and dive with you guys, eh? Divin', Hooters, "refreshments"...

:tease:

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom