First time diving with doubles....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
A recent post in this section got me a'thinking.......

I've got a set of LP98's that I bought manifolded and banded. I broke the pair up to use as singles initially, and once I get my feet wet with my still not arrived dry suit, I plan on pairing them back up again.

What kind of charachteristics can I expect when going with doubles till I'm used to them?

And Yes, I know....It'll be in the pool FIRST, SECOND, THIRD...etc. till I feel completely confident I can handle them in OW.

Any help, anecdotal references, humorous stories, horror stories or what have you would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - the shop that I dive out of is big on a HP steel and a 30cf Pony, so I'll be setting a precedent on deeper Great Lakes wreck dives whenst I go to pairs. i.e. No support from my local sheriff/LDS on this one.

Wind-out of wind

In the water i dont really notice them. I would say the biggest thing for me was the gearing up and moving around. Its quite a bit heavier than i was used to using. Takes some practice to get it all down too, i spent many days in the pool working on trim and positioning of stage and deco bottles. Practiced running line, R&R deco and stage bottles, Lift bag deployment, you name it. I just asked the LDS when they would be at the pool and they said i could come down and practice while they where doing OW, AOW ect... classes . Worked out great for me. The LDS instructor was my tech dive instructor so i was able to get alot of extra instruction and tips while i did these pool sessions.

Then throw in the new drysuit and theres a few more pool sessions at least :) i learned my drysuit by diving alot. It was a love hate relationship thats all love now:)

Andy

Originally posted by Windknot
nt

Most of the moderators can't touch the Tech section but I'll pass the word along and see if I can get it moved for ya!

Windy One,
I can't remember if you have a BP/wing???
You need a wing that is wide enough for the doubles....
Then just go dive them.... have fun.... they are more stable... you can reach the valves easier.... your are stocky enough to be able to hump them around.... you shouldn't need any extra weight but if you do a small V weight will do the trick....

Do you have a regular buddy???

Originally posted by Windknot
A recent post in this section got me a'thinking.......

I've got a set of LP98's that I bought manifolded and banded. I broke the pair up to use as singles initially, and once I get my feet wet with my still not arrived dry suit, I plan on pairing them back up again.

What kind of charachteristics can I expect when going with doubles till I'm used to them?

And Yes, I know....It'll be in the pool FIRST, SECOND, THIRD...etc. till I feel completely confident I can handle them in OW.

Any help, anecdotal references, humorous stories, horror stories or what have you would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - the shop that I dive out of is big on a HP steel and a 30cf Pony, so I'll be setting a precedent on deeper Great Lakes wreck dives whenst I go to pairs. i.e. No support from my local sheriff/LDS on this one.

Wind-out of wind

My first time was a good experience.... oh... you're talking about diving right... alrighty then... ;-)

I recorded my thoughts from my first dive with doubles, wings, and backplate last May (2001) over on Diverlink. This and the replies may be of some use to you. Some of the thoughts were general and not entirely related to the doubles.

Now that I have over 40 dives with the doubles, I would caution you to watch your knees. Be very careful if you need to squat or step down, putting most of the weight on the bent knee. I've felt a mild strain a few times in one of my knees and am taking steps to strengthen my legs AND watch big steps down. No sense making an early termination to your dive career.

Feel free to ask me details that I may have left out. My rig has evolved quite a bit in the last 10 months, but I'd be happy to share with you how I slowly transitioned (and am still transitioning) my gear config to something more acceptable to me.

http://diverlink.com/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi/forum/?cmd=get&cG=9323735343&zu=3932373534&v=2&gV=A#92754

later, wb

One thing that I would recommend is that you keep the waist and crotch straps quite "snug" to prevent the tanks from "wandering" around on your back. If you do not have a backplate, you will find it much more difficult to stabilize the tanks. Climbing out of the water is work!

Hope you have a great diving season,

Robert:doctor:

Nice to see another Michigan diver going Tech! I have been diving doubles for many years and making sure your legs and back are fit is a must with doubles. As you work with your doubles just remember to step carefully. You may want to scout out your exit if you are diving from shore, as you will find that it is a lot harder to exit then with a single tank.

Good diving!

Yes, I have recently converted to a backplate (fredT) and Halcyon 36# Pioneer wing for my singles. Connected to the tank I have an Atomic B1-T2 Primary and Atomic Z1 secondary bungee'd around my 19 1/2 inch neck. Non DIR console with Vyper, SPG and Compass (way too big) for my gauges.

As for the doubles.......OK I'm ready...FLAME AWAY.....I just picked up a set of 65# OMS Bungied Wings of Death....why you ask? Price. Gently used for $160.00. Quality has never been a concern between brands...just those damn bungies. Worst case scenario I cut the bungies off, best case, I never worry about it. And in a pinch if I'm going singles and/or pony, the OMS' will work well cum bungee.

No regular buddy yet. BOW classmates are now great friends, but I wouldn't want to put my life in their hands. AOW Class has a couple of good candidates but unsure. My semi-DIR w/doubles kit is going to rub some of the LDS Gentry the wrong way...but what the hell...that's what I do. I'm still looking for someone that I trust (and is willing to split the gas costs) and who wants to do the kind of diving that I want to. Patience will have to be a virtue I adapt methinks.

Thanks,

I have bookmarked your link and will refer to it with my other "library" entries.

Knees are going to be a problem. I have hamburger for both knees now. Fair Wife (M.D.) basically told me to suck it up. I have been harsh on my joints for too many years and surgery is recommended. Problem is I want to dive soon and often, so I'll be putting off the ortho surgery till next winter, God willing my knees hold up.

I dont plan on actually diving my doubles for quite some time, just starting to get my mental picture in my head.

Wind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom