First time diving cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all the replies. Definitely going to use a lot of the recommendations. I usually do a lot of research on the destinations I go to but I'd rather ask people who have been there. A lot more informative. No matter how much research you look into, there are always those little hidden gems out there that are never mentioned. Divers especially know where to have the most fun and have so many unique experiences and locations that most tourists dont even know exists out there. Again, thank you everybody. You have been a huge help in planning my trip. When I get back I'll share on this thread as to how the trip went and where I have visited.

Sadly, the bull sharks are not currently in Playa. They are usually here this time of year. They come to give birth, but hang off Playa as the local dive operators chum & feed them. Not awesome.

The common rumour is that they might have been taken a couple weeks ago by fishermen taking advantage of the situation. This is just hearsay, but in any case the sharks are MIA. I hope they are OK.

That really sucks. Hopefully the rumour is false and they are just hanging at another spot this year for one reason or another.

I'll share on this thread as to how the trip went and where I have visited.
You could. A new thread trip report might be more helpful tho. I think I failed to mention a couple of suggestions that I usually offer to inexperienced divers on their first visit to the island.

Hiring a private DM for the first boat trip is money well spent.

DAN dive insurance is essential unless you believe that you have outstanding coverage elsewhere, and that's rare.

Seperate trip insurance is worth considering. I take it from a non-DAN source anytime I leave the country and nag my relatives to do the same, mostly because my medical insurance is very limited outside of the US.​

Y

Seperate trip insurance is worth considering. I take it from a non-DAN source anytime I leave the country and nag my relatives to do the same, mostly because my medical insurance is very limited outside of the US.​
I found DAN travel insurance to be both economical and to offer better coverage than most other sources--until last fall. They had a good policy through Travel Guard that appeared to be written with diving and sports in mind. I even had a theft claim against it a few years ago that was paid quickly and fully. Then, last October, when I was arranging a trip for March 2020 I found that the same policy I bought in the beginning of 2019 for a July trip cost 70% more. Plus, they dropped any coverage for medical repatriation. Now I am looking for a new source for travel insurance; even at my age, paying a premium that equates to 18% of my trip cost seems a tad excessive. (I hope this does not stimulate a debate on the overall wisdom of having trip insurance--that was not my intent)

This is about the best I can do. There’s so much content to wade through it can be pretty daunting.

Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Agree with these recommendations. We have stayed at Casa Mexicana probably 12-15 times. The breakfast buffet is out of this world. Some of my friends dive with Tres Pelicanos and love them.

You could. A new thread trip report might be more helpful tho. I think I failed to mention a couple of suggestions that I usually offer to inexperienced divers on their first visit to the island.

Hiring a private DM for the first boat trip is money well spent.

DAN dive insurance is essential unless you believe that you have outstanding coverage elsewhere, and that's rare.

Thank you for those tips. I just got DAN insurance a couple days ago.

[
Plus, they dropped any coverage for medical repatriation.
I think that their position on that with DAN trip insurance is that it's redundant since you have to be a member of DAN to buy it, and DAN membership includes it as a member benefit. I have considered going with that as their Premium plan is a few bucks cheaper than the Classic plan I get at TravelSafe.com, but I haven't switched yet. I've had good experiences with TravelSafe.com claims I have filed in the past, and kinda like having redundant medical & non-medical evacuation coverage.

Now I am looking for a new source for travel insurance; even at my age, paying a premium that equates to 18% of my trip cost seems a tad excessive.
I feel your pain, as we old folks get hit with such, but then we have more claims. Rates may vary between states of residence, but I'm paying that rate at TravelSafe.com, at least the way I book, only covering the cost of my plane ticket. The way I book everything else, only the first night of my hotel is non-cancelable, and they are known to waive that with advance notice and good reason. My most important focus with trip insurance is medical expense coverage tho, so having 100K of medical coverage plus baggage, delays, plane, and a few other benefits is worth it to me, I think.

I have considered that maybe my DAN dive insurance is not so important nowadays since I only dive on one or two Cozumel trips a year and always take trip insurance, but I still feel that it's essential. When I do hang up my fins and donate my dive gear, I'm keeping the membership for the evacuation coverage.

Travelers who book packages that are non-cancelable without severe penalty are in a be-there-or-else position, and I have purchased those in the past. Cruise ship passengers are at high risk and should consider buying coverage other than from the cruise line. Having to pay 18% or so of several thousand can indeed add-up, but again - we have more claims.

Agree with these recommendations. We have stayed at Casa Mexicana probably 12-15 times. The breakfast buffet is out of this world. Some of my friends dive with Tres Pelicanos and love them.
It's a nice hotel at reasonable rates if you don't mind being on front street with all of that bustle. I've stayed at one of their sister hotels and hiked over there for breakfast, and the breakfast buffet is impressive, but it didn't start until 7 am or later many times, and there wasn't enough time to be impressed before I needed to be at Tres Pelican or on the dock for any of the other early ops. Besides, is a huge breakfast before diving such a good idea? I changed to a much cheaper hotel with a breakfast that satisfied me ok on a quieter street a block back and a pretty courtyard with roaming turtles, but you can't go wrong there if you like the location & breakfast.

Thank you for those tips. I just got DAN insurance a couple days ago.
Gooood! You already had 50+ dives tho? I got mine before my first dive and had it since. My home dive bud didn't bother at first, took a minor hit on his first dive, but didn't tell me or anyone else for a couple of years, just suffering the pain. I'm glad it wasn't a bad hit, as well as glad you didn't need it before you got it.

I have friends in Washington state who can't currently get it as their over 70 years old and they just don't offer it there with that state's insurance department & rules, which really sucks with the great shore diving there. Politics can cause problems.

First time traveling to cozumel and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for dive sites, places to visit, places to eat, etc. I will be there for a week and want to make the best of it.
Go to La Perlita, Avenida 65 Bis Norte 70, Cozumel 77620, Mexico, for the lionfish (call first). Should only be 50 peso cab ride from downtown if you catch the cab off the main streets.

Also try La Cocay downtown at 208 Calle 8 Norte between 10 and 15 Avienda Nte. Really good food (Mediterranean-Caribbean, not specifically Mexican)

Get a downtown San Miguel map. Google has a good one to look at before you leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom