First Time Calling a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you know, this thread had me have a good conversation with my wife and daughter.

I asked if I ever made them uncomfortable turning a dive.

They said no.....but they said I emote disappointment sometimes. That is something I need to watch.

Two examples, salt pier, watching an octopus in 30 feet of water and wife turns for ears. She said I turned immediately but she got a vibe I was bummed.

Second, diving in Aruba with daughter (several years ago), really wavy on the surface, she was delaying gong down, The dive master got impatient and got on her and grabbed her bcd control then she freaked when the dive master hit her BCD dump valve to get her under. We turned immediately, but she said I appeared really ticked off. (then she said you were probably mad at him)

Folks that get dives turned on them, watch your body language, make sure folks know it is okay, any time, for any reason.
I might feel bummed about calling a dive or having a dive called but I will always go with it.

Far easier to have a conversation about it or problem solve on the surface than have issues in the water.

As a note, if a dive is called, I will always try to instigate a conversation as to why (irrespective of the rule of being able to call it for any reason at any time). Reason is, I want to be able to understand and possibly mitigate any issues going forward. It will never, ever end up heated however. If they turn round as say it is something as simple as "I just didn't feel it today" - that is fine with me as a reason. I only ask to try to improve both our experiences.

On a humors note, I laugh when you know you are all getting close to your turn pressures but you wait for one of your buddies to pull the thumb then mock them for their "horrible" SAC rate!

you know, this thread had me have a good conversation with my wife and daughter.

I asked if I ever made them uncomfortable turning a dive.

They said no.....but they said I emote disappointment sometimes. That is something I need to watch.

Two examples, salt pier, watching an octopus in 30 feet of water and wife turns for ears. She said I turned immediately but she got a vibe I was bummed.

Second, diving in Aruba with daughter (several years ago), really wavy on the surface, she was delaying gong down, The dive master got impatient and got on her and grabbed her bcd control then she freaked when the dive master hit her BCD dump valve to get her under. We turned immediately, but she said I appeared really ticked off. (then she said you were probably mad at him)

Folks that get dives turned on them, watch your body language, make sure folks know it is okay, any time, for any reason.
That’s a great post: it’s hard to tell others that they should be able to call a dive if they can feel any negative feelings from their buddies.

Good point.

That’s a great post: it’s hard to tell others that they should be able to call a dive if they can feel any negative feelings from their buddies.
I often call dives for my buddies. It's obvious if they're not having fun... at least it should be if you're paying attention. I rarely tell them I called it for them. Excess bubbles, nervous glances, impatience and so forth are all tell signs that something's wrong. Be a mensch and call the dive for them and take the blame.

I do that for students as well. Often their significant others want to be there when they learn to dive. After all, they've sought me out and want to see how I teach. I will wait for an opportune time when we are alone and ask the student if they want their SO in the pool or even on the dives. It's their choice either way, but I make it out to be my decision if they don't want them. Their comfort and even my buddy's comfort are my responsibility and I don't mind taking the "hit".

My three strike rule: Of course, any single issue can cause me to cancel a dive if I can't resolve it. But if I can, I generally limit myself to only three. After the third issue I generally call the dive on principle. If it's going to be 'one of those days', then I don't want to be underwater when the next issue shows it's ugly head. It's not a hard and fast rule, but when I encounter that many issues, I am frustrated as hell and certainly don't need to dive.

I did that on my trip to Fiji. We're doing the dive briefing for the shark dive and the DM tells us that we need to be in a wet suit. I didn't bring one and I don't want to swim in someone else's pee, so I call the dive and tell him so. No problem he says, they'll make an exception and be sure to keep me safe. OK, I reluctantly get on the boat. I'm not a dive rule breaker, but he says tt's going to be OK. I go to check out my gear and notice that the elbow on my BC bladder s broken. Grrrrrrr. I love my BC but I'm not diving without it and so I call the dive. The DM says they have another BC I can use. I hate poodle vests, but sure. I'm starting to get stressed with the whole boat waiting on my problem. As the boat pulls up, I tell it to hold fast. Let me check out this BC first. Whoa, it's way, way, way too small. I'm done. I get on the boat and wave everyone off. I'm too stressed and frustrated to trust myself to dive safely. On shore I happen to snag a wonderful pic of a seahorse with my phone in ankle deep water!

n-RYCeKtcgUiSdKm6hBbwdyslb-yMI5R2rkOVXLeP0b5ZGneNjO3rSTOynsNqQr4yGolx6uHRN8t0QAY3=w1970-h1227-no.jpg

Be a mensch and call the dive for them and take the blame.
2 phreakin' phunni: I just got a PM and then a phone call asking me if I called such and such dive on such and such day, because they didn't seem to be having fun. Possibly. I couldn't really remember either dive specifically, but I would estimate that half of my calls are for my buddy's benefit. :D :D :D I get the pleasure of diving with a lot of people in a number of places. You SBers are a lot of fun to be around and you love to dive. That being said, I hate rescues. In fact, the best rescue is the one you avoid by calling the dive before it gets to that point. So, if something doesn't sit right with me, whether it's you or me, I'll be calling that dive and taking the blame (or credit). It's all good, if we're all safe at the end of the day.

I often call dives for my buddies. It's obvious if they're not having fun... at least it should be if you're paying attention. I rarely tell them I called it for them. Excess bubbles, nervous glances, impatience and so forth are all tell signs that something's wrong. Be a mensch and call the dive for them and take the blame.

I do that for students as well. Often their significant others want to be there when they learn to dive. After all, they've sought me out and want to see how I teach. I will wait for an opportune time when we are alone and ask the student if they want their SO in the pool or even on the dives. It's their choice either way, but I make it out to be my decision if they don't want them. Their comfort and even my buddy's comfort are my responsibility and I don't mind taking the "hit".

That is an outstanding idea, my wife, who is cold natured, I can always tell 5 minutes before she calls that she is going to do it. I am going to take one so she doesn't feel bad about it.

Going to Bonaire this weekend so will give update how it works. She doesn't look at scubaboard, so this can be a blind experiment.

That is an outstanding idea, my wife, who is cold natured, I can always tell 5 minutes before she calls that she is going to do it. I am going to take one so she doesn't feel bad about it.

Going to Bonaire this weekend so will give update how it works. She doesn't look at scubaboard, so this can be a blind experiment.

Looking forward to the blind test results upon your return.

so this can be a blind experiment.
Don't poke her eyes out, dude! :D :D :D

Have fun. Always have fun and make sure your buddy is having just as much fun. Bonaire is a fun place and don't forget to visit the Slabaai (spelling?) National Park for all the moonscapes on your day off before you go home. If you're lucky you'll get to see a cara cara while you're there. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom