First solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolantej:
Dove off my kayak at Del Monte Beach, Monterey.

Ok, I dive in colder water so I have a thick FJ wet suit and more weights. But. How the heck do you get back into a kayak even in minimal dive gear? Especially solo! I have enough fun getting in a runabout by myself never mind attempting a kayak! <lol>

derwoodwithasherwood:
Ok, I dive in colder water so I have a thick FJ wet suit and more weights. But. How the heck do you get back into a kayak even in minimal dive gear? Especially solo! I have enough fun getting in a runabout by myself never mind attempting a kayak! <lol>

:rofl3:

I know what you mean, and to be honest, I don't know. I just scuba to shore then beach my yak. "They" claim to doff your gear and weights (clipping them to lines of course, and inflating your bladder), then kick up onto your belly and flip to your back. I found getting the bc back into the tank well in waterto be impossible, at least for me. If I ever got back onto my yak in deeper water, I would just inflate and tow the bc. I have found that if you're a big guy like me and you let the weight of your gear lean towards either side, you're gonna flip over. I'm gonna build some outriggers to possibly help with that. :)

bolantej:
:rofl3:

I know what you mean, and to be honest, I don't know. I just scuba to shore then beach my yak. "They" claim to doff your gear and weights (clipping them to lines of course, and inflating your bladder), then kick up onto your belly and flip to your back. I found getting the bc back into the tank well in waterto be impossible, at least for me. If I ever got back onto my yak in deeper water, I would just inflate and tow the bc. I have found that if you're a big guy like me and you let the weight of your gear lean towards either side, you're gonna flip over. I'm gonna build some outriggers to possibly help with that. :)

Ahhh. So your short answer is: Cheat. :rofl3:

I can respect that :wink:

I love my open 15" "dingie"... Its stable enough for me to doff (not my suit ofc) in the water (throw the weights in the boat, inflate the bc, so the rig floats), jump into the boat and pull the rest of the gear into it :p

yep. a small boat is definitely a good way to save on long swims.

I've been thinking of a kayak. I've used a long, two place sea kayak, but never a single place one suitable for rivers and ocean.

Any recommendations for one as both general use and diving? No whitewater; just a 4-7K river and the ocean. Needs enough capacity for my dive gear, or if on the river all my survival stuff to keep me going for a week or so while I bushwhacked my way out.

I use an Ocean Kayak brand that goes by the name of Scrambler XL. There are many to choose from in the sit on top style.

Rock on bolantej!

Welcome to the crowd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom