First solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolantej

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I've gone and done it...I dove alone.

Dove off my kayak at Del Monte Beach, Monterey. Didn't want anything too wild to start off with. Started with a minor entanglement in my tow line upon descending. Worked that out without problem. I knew I could always just cut it if I had to. I may stick to anchoring it/tying off at a buoy from now on if diving alone. Only maxed out at about 30 feet or so. Vis was good, so it was nice and relaxing. I think I can do this more often. It does get a little eerie in the ocean...I'll be honest. I felt myself a bit more alert than usual. :wink:

There are different kinds of solo.

There is solo off a boat or beach, where you do not have a buddy, yet there are other dives elsewhere in the water.

And then there is really solo, with no other divers in sight anywhere.

When I am really solo, I feel a very hightened sense of alertness. I re-think everything in advance, I double check everything, and I become more risk-adverse. My dives then become much more conservative, not as deep, not as far from shore.

Van Maier talks about these aspects of additional conservatism in his book, SOLO DIVING.

I'll take some of this advice as I embark for a few solo dives within the next couple of weeks. Heck the last few "buddy" dives I had recently were really solo anyway :) Plus I'm into photography so I'd like to practice my technique without any chaos. I'm sure I'll be VERY alert!

I felt myself a bit more alert than usual.

thats the high you get. A more conscious dive.

Kayak diving in Monterey is ninja solo compared to what I do, mostly off a captained boat, my "topside buddy" following me around. Watch out for the little things.

Im much more alert and conservative when solo as well. There is also NO changing the dive plan once Ive made it. If I plan to do max 15 meters for 30 minutes, there will be absolutely no "ill just go down to that thing that seems to be at about 17 and have a look" or "I can stay 3 more minutes".
The thing I feel a bit uncomfortable with is the fact that Im so much more confident when Im with a buddy. I might be trusting a buddy too much. Admittedly, its been a few dives since Ive dove with a buddy, so itll be interesting to see if that has changed the next time I do..

Here here! i have done several myself and it was awesome! Much more alert and aware! I am a firm supporter of any solo diver!

I did 3 solo dives within site of the boat and it was great. I stayed pretty close to the boat and my deepest dive was 45 ft. I felt very aware of my guages as usual but found myself checking them more often. Next time I am going to return to the same spot and bring a camera.

Yeah, it was a pretty cool feeling, the more I think about it. I definitely kept my eye on the open water, though. No other divers around to my knowledge until my surface interval. They surfaced with what I believe was the only legal halibut in the area.

bolantej:
Well, I've gone and done it...I dove alone.

Dove off my kayak at Del Monte Beach, Monterey. Didn't want anything too wild to start off with. Started with a minor entanglement in my tow line upon descending. Worked that out without problem. I knew I could always just cut it if I had to. I may stick to anchoring it/tying off at a buoy from now on if diving alone. Only maxed out at about 30 feet or so. Vis was good, so it was nice and relaxing. I think I can do this more often. It does get a little eerie in the ocean...I'll be honest. I felt myself a bit more alert than usual. :wink:

Sounds great!

I should try a kayak dive sometime to get into some new areas.

Your description of heightened alertness was interesting. I notice others report the same.

Diving solo gets me into a pretty relaxed frame of mind, not more alert.

Nevertheless, I'm certainly more aware of everything since I'm not distracted by buddy concerns. That may be because I'm pretty methodical and slow, though. Okay, plodding.... :)

I also admit I only stick to the dive plan's critical elements, the ones that really shouldn't be changed. Otherwise, I really enjoy solo diving's freedom to make some changes on the fly.

I'm referring to pretty easy, safe dives, of course, but maybe I'm getting a little complacent or overconfident.

Hmmm....

Good post. Good food for thought.

Dave C

I think relaxed and alert actually go together. I find it peaceful, yet I am more aware of my surroundings, time that I'm not spending checking on my buddy.

A good dive with a good buddy is super, but sometimes just getting away from it all is nice :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom