First Reg Choice Apeks XL4+ vs Deep6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, come on man, how many of us take a backup reg set on a vacation? I guess you do, is that right?
I do, but if I didn't, I'd rather rent a reg that has been used and I know is working. The last thing I'd want to do is dive into the blue with a just serviced reg.

We brought three reg sets on our last trip for my wife and I. But we are close enough to drive to Mexico so no airline hassles. We each have Apeks XTX100 as our main set and I had a new Edge set I bought here in SB that I used as a backup and dove with one day so I could try it out.

I may not take a full back up set, but I do take a backup 1st stage and a kit for the seconds because all I need to rebuild a second in the field is an adjustable wrench and a 4.5 mm or 3/16th allen wrench. A quick field second fix usually involves just replacing the seat.

If you drive to dive, not an issue at all!
An extra first and second stage (no hose) don't exactly take up a lot of space.

Me: My SPG is leaking, do you guy's have a spare SPG HP spool or "O" rings?
Liveboard DM: No!
Me: OK, can I rent one of your rental regs and swap the spg onto my reg?
LB DM: No, our insurance company won't allow that!
Me: OK, don't worry about it I'll just dive the way it is and only lose a bit of air anyway.
LB DM: No, you can't dive with faulty equipment, you have to rent one of ours!

Worst liveboard trip I have ever been on and the rental reg was utter crap to breath from- probably hadn't been rinsed in months. Now I always take a spare first/second and O rings.

Was with @AfterDark a while back he had a first stage issue so he whipped out another first and swapped the hoses.
Part of my save-a-dive kit. Don't go diving without it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom