first photo post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. Just came back from Coz and posting my first pics in this group. Used canon a70 in a canon housing using internal flash. Used aperture priority mode, tried to use full manual but couldn't quiet do it. Having fun using this cam and think it's one of my best investments yet (aside from learning to dive).

Basically looking for tips on how to improve. Also, what's the best way to take pics in a current? Ended up with a lot of fish butts (aahhhhh! current and shutter lag don't mix)

Thanks.

I like the Grey Angels! Looks like you're doing just fine. What's wrong with fish butts?!?

I don't know about the Canon, but my Oly has a feature that really helps with shutter lag. Half-press the shutter so the camera can focus, then fully press it when focus is locked in. This cuts the shutter lag considerably.

midwestdvr, you are so right about current and shutter lag. That's why most of my Coz pics are of the non-fish marine life. My next dive trip will require a location without strong currents.
Strong currents and underwater photography in general don't mix well.

In Coz, you can drop down behind a coral head to get out of the current and just find something to shoot! It's hard to fight the current and aim and focus the camera at the same time!

wow... those grey angels are nice!

Dee:
I don't know about the Canon, but my Oly has a feature that really helps with shutter lag. Half-press the shutter so the camera can focus, then fully press it when focus is locked in. This cuts the shutter lag considerably.

Canons do the same.

Marc

Thanks for the comments. The grey angels are my favorite also. Didn't really know they'd turn out like that. I had just dropped behind a large coral head when I saw big fish underneath. It felt like it took forever to get the shot. If i'd waited any longer and it would have been fish butts ( my second shot was fish butts).

I do have a question. Some of my shots that I took without using the flash came out with some of the areas really shiny, like they reflected quiet a bit of the sunlight coming in. This is mostly when I took the shots in the open sandy areas. Is there a way to eliminate this? Thanks.

midwestdvr:
I do have a question. Some of my shots that I took without using the flash came out with some of the areas really shiny, like they reflected quiet a bit of the sunlight coming in. This is mostly when I took the shots in the open sandy areas. Is there a way to eliminate this? Thanks.

How about posting some of the shots so we can see better what you're talking about. Typically, shooting into the sand or with anything very reflective is tricky. I generally go with a smaller aperture (bigger number) but it also cuts down on the depth of field, a tight balanceing act. Gilligan has been showing excellent examples of shots with sand.

Back
Top Bottom